Brandy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
Can someone tell me what brandy is used for other than called for in recipe? Just found bottle and would like to use it up best way I can. Does this stuff get old? Look for expiration date and cannot locate it. Thanks for your time.

I've use brandy in many a sauce. Usually for steak and mushrooms.
I've also added a splash to French Onion Soup.
Brandy also is nice brushed on cake, in between the layers.

I've not heard of brandy going 'bad'.

I agree with everything KitchenSally said and I also wanted to make this 3 for 3 with the word "kitchen" in a member name :LOL:

At Christmas when my dad was still with us, we always had his Tom and Jerry's and he used brandy instead of whisky.They were a delight. Now I use it in many things I cook, but when I have a cold or don't feel up to par, at night I make a hot toddy to sip before bed..Not a big one, meds you know, but just enough to help sooth and relax..Works wonders.
kadesma;)

Brandy only gets better with age, though it mellows better in the cask than in the bottle. It is great for cooking and, if it's a good one, even better for drinking. There is nothing that quite compares to a good Cognac or Armangnac (types of brandy) after a good meal. What does the label on your found bottle say?

kitchenelf said:
:LOL: :ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO: - I could "mess" with you and change your name to *kamy* - that would stun you the next time you logged on! lolololol :angel:

:LOL: You shouldn't make fun of people that st..st..stutter. :ROFLMAO:

ITK, I might pour it over vanilla ice cream.

Last edited:
E&j

bullseye said:
Brandy only gets better with age, though it mellows better in the cask than in the bottle. It is great for cooking and, if it's a good one, even better for drinking. There is nothing that quite compares to a good Cognac or Armangnac (types of brandy) after a good meal. What does the label on your found bottle say?

The brand name is E&J. Sure is strong. Opened it since I asked you all and seems like strong whiskey.

thanks for all the comments. Being able to cook with it sure will make use of it. Also reason to have drink when you aren't feeling good. What is Tom and Jerry? Is that a brand name too?

Knowing that the brandy won't get old is relief. Always worrying about expiration dates on things.

i sure do thank all of you for sharing your knowledge with me. Makes me feel like I know lot of intelligent people.

KITCHENelf

kitchenelf said:
I agree with everything KitchenSally said and I also wanted to make this 3 for 3 with the word "kitchen" in a member name :LOL:

You sure are observant! Like having a light turn on when someone tells you what I should have observed myself. thanks KITCHEN elf. Probably I have my mind always in the kitchen too much.

I use brandy to make bananas foster. Bananas ,butter, brown sugar and brandy. Heat flame brandy and put over ice cream. A little more to it than that but WOW and it sure uses up brandy

Last edited:
Dangerous?

oneoffour said:
I use brandy to make bananas foster. Bananas ,butter, brown sugar and brandy. Heat flame brandy and put over ice cream. A little more to it than that but WOW and it sure uses up brandy

Isn't this kind of dangerous? How often have you done this and not have something catch fire? I think I have seen this in restaurants but never in my home, not yet. Must be very good though

In the Kitchen said:
The brand name is E&J. Sure is strong. Opened it since I asked you all and seems like strong whiskey.

thanks for all the comments. Being able to cook with it sure will make use of it. Also reason to have drink when you aren't feeling good. What is Tom and Jerry? Is that a brand name too?

Knowing that the brandy won't get old is relief. Always worrying about expiration dates on things.

i sure do thank all of you for sharing your knowledge with me. Makes me feel like I know lot of intelligent people.
E&J is a Gallo brandy (Ernest & Julio...). They have brandies that vary from execaible to sublime. Is there more info on the label? Tom and Jerry is a rum drink (a toddy), but is sometimes made with brandy, bourbon, etc.

E&J is very strong...pretty nasty, IMO. I keep Christian Brothers on hand. It's reasonably priced, and very smooth...nice for cooking or a bed-time toddy.

I'd love to try Cognac sometime, but it would probably spoil me and I wouldn't like the inexpensive stuff anymore.

Hi In The Kitchen,
I didn't tip my hand on everthing to do it right. Made it many times and have even done it as lights out to the flame up of the brandy. Don't light on the stove and use a Bic butane lighter like you use on candles not a small match. I first had the dessert in New York City and told MDW I will copy it at home. They made it tableside at the resturant so I had a visual as to the amounts. It is always a very big hit even the guests that say they never eat dessert try for seconds.

E and J Brandy is really not a great drinking brandy, IMO. It's pretty harsh.

I have a bottle on hand to use during summer SANGRIA making.

Why don't you make up a nice pitcher of Sangria next weekend?

Other than going into the keg around a St. Bernard's neck, I use brandy for my family's favorite Easter Dinner:

BRANDIED RABBIT IN MUSTARD SAUCE

1 medium frying Rabbit, cut up
1 Tbs olive oil
1 Tbs butter
1 medium onion, quartered
whole cloves
bouquet garni
Salt and pepper
brandy
4 Tbs whipping cream
1-1/2 Tbs Dijon mustard

Pat rabbit pieces dry wioth paper towels and trim off any fat. Heat olive oil and butter in large skillet. Generously press whole cloves into onion quarters, add to skillet, and saute until onion is soft, but not browned. Season rabbit pieces with salt and pepper, add rabbit pieces and bouquet garni to pan, and saute rabbit pieces on all sides until browned.

Generously 'slosh' at least 1/2 cup brandy over top of rabbit pieces, cover, and cook over medium low heat for about 30 minutes, or until rabbit pieces are cooked through. Remove rabbit pieces from pan and keep warm.

Discard onion quarters, cloves, and bouquet garni. Increase heat to medium high. Add cream and mustard, stirring constantly until slightly thickened. Return rabbit pieces to pan and coat on all sides with sauce. Serve immediately.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom