Brewery Ommegang: Hennepin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lugaru

Sous Chef
Im not really the champagne drinking type but I still felt the need to celebrate 3 weeks of my new job (and my paychecks finally rolling in) so I purchased 1 pint (750 ml) bottle of Ommegang's Hennepin ($6.99). This stuff is remarcable... I've actually got a couple of sips left in front of me and I feel a strange melancholy thinking of finishing it already.

From the start: I cracked open the cork and it let of a surpisingly enthusiastic pop, inmediatly telling me "there's a lot of life in this bottle". I poured some into the glass and even though I was very gentle (by regular beer standards) I still ended up with at least 50% head, something I did not remember seeing since I was In Mexico. My roomate who was walking by asked "what are you craking? Oh man that smells amazing!". He wasent kidding... inmediatly the room was filled with a perfumy aroma of hopps, citrus and the SLIGHTEST aroma of fresh espresso.

The taste caught me off guard. I was expecting something much more bitter but it's amazingly lite. The first thing you will notice is a mild fruity taste similar to mandarins. This is followed by the ritch taste of wheat and hopps. When searching a bit you will find a little bit of spice, a little bit of ginger and a whole lot of magic. Ok.. one sip left. Time to hit send and then do my best to not go out and pick up another one. (Im regretting serving each of my roomates a taste).

Back
Top Bottom