Budweiser "E"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ronjohn55 said:
While I'm not the biggest Rogue fan on the planet - they definitely do churn out some good stuff.

Wasn't real keen on the Soba Ale that they had at the homebrewers conference (2 years ago, I think). They made a really cool buckwheat ale before that, it was actually quite good.

John

john, never heard of Soba Ale, but I would probably like it as I usually only buy soba noodles, love buckwheat in any form.

norgeskog said:
john, never heard of Soba Ale, but I would probably like it as I usually only buy soba noodles, love buckwheat in any form.

It was one of their Morimoto ales - there are three of them now. The didn't have the imperial pilsner at the time.

You can see them all at http://www.rogue.com/brews.html

John

-DEADLY SUSHI- said:
Gurano is a nut that has caffine if Im not mistaken. It takes you and youre heartbeat from 0 to 60 in 5 seconds. :LOL: It makes me a bit nervous actually.

Hmm, why not just make an expresso stout?

Mmmm...... Stout........

John

ronjohn55 said:
Hmm, why not just make an expresso stout?

Mmmm...... Stout........

John

I belive that Red Hook used to brew something similar to that using Starbucks Coffee. Haven't seen it on the market in a while though. In addition to Pyramid, Red Hook is another good brewery to visit if you're in the Seattle area.

Last edited:
ronjohn55 said:
It was one of their Morimoto ales - there are three of them now. The didn't have the imperial pilsner at the time.

You can see them all at http://www.rogue.com/brews.html

John

Should have known with the rogue name, from Oregon. Some of the beer's on the link I have seen in the stores here in Eugene. I usually drink Mirror Pond made by the Deschutes Brewery.

Oregon has great beers too. If anyone ever is there, in addition to the vineyards in the Williamette region, you should try these other breweries in addition to Rogue. The only drawback is that the breweries are very spread out.
  • Full Sail in Hood River (eat at Stonehedge Restaurant in Hood River if you get the chance)
  • Deschutes in Bend (Plan for a faaaaaaaaar drive)
  • Widmeir Bros. in Portland

RonJohn its too bad youre 7 hours away. I would be there in ASAP if ya lived closer! Homemade Guiness!!!!!!! YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!
33.gif
35.gif

ironchef said:
Oregon has great beers too. If anyone ever is there, in addition to the vineyards in the Williamette region, you should try these other breweries in addition to Rogue. The only drawback is that the breweries are very spread out.
  • Full Sail in Hood River (eat at Stonehedge Restaurant in Hood River if you get the chance)
  • Deschutes in Bend (Plan for a faaaaaaaaar drive)
  • Widmeir Bros. in Portland

thanks for praising Oregon, ironchef, I live in Eugene. I love Deschutes brews, usually Mirror Pond, which I can get in local pubs on tap. WInes are great, like you said. Have not been to HOod Rover.

-DEADLY SUSHI- said:
RonJohn its too bad youre 7 hours away. I would be there in ASAP if ya lived closer! Homemade Guiness!!!!!!! YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!
33.gif
35.gif

You're in Chicago right? That's only about 4 hours! (Hmm.. maybe I should add that to the admissions list in the Road Trip thread...)

7 Hours and I'd be in Juneau, WI :p

John

norgeskog said:
thanks for praising Oregon, ironchef, I live in Eugene. I love Deschutes brews, usually Mirror Pond, which I can get in local pubs on tap. WInes are great, like you said. Have not been to HOod Rover.

I lived there for a bit when I was going to school at Western Culinary Institute. IMO the Pacific Northwest (including Northern Cali) is one of the greatest and most fertile regions on the planet in terms of what it offers in food and beverage. Fresh seafood, game, meats, wines, beer, cheese, produce...all fresh, great quality, and made locally.

ironchef said:
I lived there for a bit when I was going to school at Western Culinary Institute. IMO the Pacific Northwest (including Northern Cali) is one of the greatest and most fertile regions on the planet in terms of what it offers in food and beverage. Fresh seafood, game, meats, wines, beer, cheese, produce...all fresh, great quality, and made locally.

precisely why I love it here ironchef...

ironchef said:
In addition to Pyramid, Red Hook is another good brewery to visit if you're in the Seattle area.

Been there, done that! It is a nice place, and so pretty too!

Any brewerys you guys can recommend for Los Angeles county?

buckytom said:
umm, damp, you're treading on dangerous ground. beer IS healthy. it's just liquid bread. hops, barley, and water. would you deny your family and loved ones bread and water? sheesh!!!!

You're right for most beers Buckytom, but not Bud, they also use rice, yep rice.:-p

From the Anheuser-Busch website:

Budweiser is made with an all-natural process from barley malt, hops, rice, yeast and pure water.

Why they use rice I do not know. Just know I do not like the stuff (Bud that is, most beers I do).

The following is an extract from "Craft Brewer" explaining why corn and rice are used in CAP (Classic American Pilsners.)

While brewers appreciate 6-row malt for its high diastatic power and large proportion of husk, they also don't like it because of its high protein content and large proportion of husk! This apparent contradiction arises because while husks provide the filter through which the wort is clarified, too much of it can add astringency to the beer. The high protein content of 6-row can make the final product hazy and unstable.

To counter these problems, American brewers (many of whom were German immigrants) diluted the 6-row malt with corn. This had the pleasant side effect of giving the beer a mildly sweet corn flavor. It was not until later that corn and rice were used in larger quantities to lighten flavor and increase profits. It is probably appropriate to use corn at a rate of up to 20% of the grain bill, the remainder being 6-row Pilsner malt. Starting gravities may have ranged from 1.048 up to 1.070, but it was probably most commonly brewed in the lower end of this range.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom