"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 05-30-2006, 07:39 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Chambord - eau de vie?

I have a recipe that calls for raspberry eau de vie. They don't sell it at any of the liquer stores, all they had was Chambord. The recipe is for a syrup that is poured over a cake. It's 1/2 sugar and 1/2 water with a sixth of eau de vie. I understand that Chambord is sweeter, what other differences are there? Many thanks!

Old 07-13-2006, 09:00 PM   #2
Executive Chef

water of life

An eau de vie is a fruit spirit sans most distillation. If I had to compare it to something, the closest thing would be a brandy. Chambord is a liqueur, extremely sweet and extremely syrupy.
Eue de vie is like the anti-vodka, which is distilled many times over, leaving barely any taste at all.
Substitute if you must, but if you have time, order it online. Just do a google search with the words eau de vie.

Old 07-13-2006, 09:13 PM   #3
Executive Chef

thanks verablue. This is actually for a wedding cake I'll be making for my sister next year. I made a tester cake for her when she came out to visit me in June. Corazon's wedding cake I made it with the chambord because I was too short on time to order it. I will be ordering some online just to compare and see what I think will be best.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:39 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Chambord and eau de vie is very different. It doesn't mean you couldn't use some other liquer on the cake.Plain Eau de vie is basically ALCOHOL with no flavor, in my experience. You could use a raspberry liqueur like cassis.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:10 AM   #5
Master Chef

Framboise is what you should be asking for. Around here you can find it in large liquor stores and in wine stores that can carry liquor.

You might be able to substitute Kirsch, which is cherry eau de vie and more widely available. But then it will not be raspberry.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:58 PM   #6
Executive Chef

thanks gretchen & jennyma. I did look for framboise but to no avail. I'll have to order it. All the liquor stores here are owned by the state so there's not really any specialty stuff. We have 3 stores but they all carry the same thing. I think vera is right, I'll just have to order it.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:39 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

I have just come to my senses and realized that in spite of the green bottle Chambord is raspberry flavored. Use it and cut down the sugar in your syrup.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:44 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen
I have just come to my senses and realized that in spite of the green bottle Chambord is raspberry flavored. Use it and cut down the sugar in your syrup.
That it is. I did cut the sugar, it was for a syrup to be absorbed into the cake so I did it by taste. I'm gonna experiment. I'll make the syrup with the rasp eau de vie and I think I'll try it just straight up Chambord. Like I said, I have until May to find what will be best.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:58 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

OK, girls - let me ask you this:

Are eau de vie and aquavit the same thing? I'm thinking aquavit is Eastern European (Czech, maybe?)
Old 07-14-2006, 05:32 PM   #10
Executive Chef

cassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen
Chambord and eau de vie is very different. It doesn't mean you couldn't use some other liquer on the cake.Plain Eau de vie is basically ALCOHOL with no flavor, in my experience. You could use a raspberry liqueur like cassis.
Hi Gretchen

Cassis is made from currants, not raspberries.