Chambord - eau de vie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corazon

Executive Chef
Native New Mexican, now live in Bellingham, WA
I have a recipe that calls for raspberry eau de vie. They don't sell it at any of the liquer stores, all they had was Chambord. The recipe is for a syrup that is poured over a cake. It's 1/2 sugar and 1/2 water with a sixth of eau de vie. I understand that Chambord is sweeter, what other differences are there? Many thanks!

water of life

An eau de vie is a fruit spirit sans most distillation. If I had to compare it to something, the closest thing would be a brandy. Chambord is a liqueur, extremely sweet and extremely syrupy.
Eue de vie is like the anti-vodka, which is distilled many times over, leaving barely any taste at all.
Substitute if you must, but if you have time, order it online. Just do a google search with the words eau de vie.

Chambord and eau de vie is very different. It doesn't mean you couldn't use some other liquer on the cake.Plain Eau de vie is basically ALCOHOL with no flavor, in my experience. You could use a raspberry liqueur like cassis.

Framboise is what you should be asking for. Around here you can find it in large liquor stores and in wine stores that can carry liquor.

You might be able to substitute Kirsch, which is cherry eau de vie and more widely available. But then it will not be raspberry.

thanks gretchen & jennyma. I did look for framboise but to no avail. I'll have to order it. All the liquor stores here are owned by the state so there's not really any specialty stuff. We have 3 stores but they all carry the same thing. I think vera is right, I'll just have to order it.

I have just come to my senses and realized that in spite of the green bottle Chambord is raspberry flavored. Use it and cut down the sugar in your syrup.

Gretchen said:
I have just come to my senses and realized that in spite of the green bottle Chambord is raspberry flavored. Use it and cut down the sugar in your syrup.
That it is. I did cut the sugar, it was for a syrup to be absorbed into the cake so I did it by taste. I'm gonna experiment. I'll make the syrup with the rasp eau de vie and I think I'll try it just straight up Chambord. Like I said, I have until May to find what will be best.

cassis

Gretchen said:
Chambord and eau de vie is very different. It doesn't mean you couldn't use some other liquer on the cake.Plain Eau de vie is basically ALCOHOL with no flavor, in my experience. You could use a raspberry liqueur like cassis.

Hi Gretchen

Cassis is made from currants, not raspberries.

Aquavit

mudbug said:
OK, girls - let me ask you this:

Are eau de vie and aquavit the same thing? I'm thinking aquavit is Eastern European (Czech, maybe?)

Hi,
Aquavit is a norwegien liquor about 42% alcohol by volume. It's made from potatoes or grain mash, usually light yellow in colour. It's often flavoured with caraway seeds, fennel or lemon rind.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom