Champagne anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Home chef

Senior Cook
I can, more or less, BS my way around wines. However, champagne is another story entirely. Having never really properly introduced myself to champagne I have no idea what to look for other than the fact that if it wasn't made from graped from teh Champagne region of France than it cannot be called so.

With that being said, I am planning a suprise trip to Paris for my wife's 30th birthday. We are leaving this upcoming Wednesday. As a part of my suprise I am hiring transportation to / from the airport. I want to have a good bottle of champagne for the trip to the airport.

My theory is this... Anyone can say "Just get a bottle of Dom or White Star". Not that they aren't great champagnes, it's just that there has to be other brands out there that are just as refreshing and 'special'. I don't really care about the price since it is a birthday present and all.

Can anyone recommend a very good bottle for around the $100 +/- range?

Home chef said:
I can, more or less, BS my way around wines. However, champagne is another story entirely. Having never really properly introduced myself to champagne I have no idea what to look for other than the fact that if it wasn't made from graped from teh Champagne region of France than it cannot be called so.

With that being said, I am planning a suprise trip to Paris for my wife's 30th birthday. We are leaving this upcoming Wednesday. As a part of my suprise I am hiring transportation to / from the airport. I want to have a good bottle of champagne for the trip to the airport.

My theory is this... Anyone can say "Just get a bottle of Dom or White Star". Not that they aren't great champagnes, it's just that there has to be other brands out there that are just as refreshing and 'special'. I don't really care about the price since it is a birthday present and all.

Can anyone recommend a very good bottle for around the $100 +/- range?

Non-Vintage Perrier-Jouet (the bottle with the flowers on it) is usually between $90-115 a bottle at most places. I've seen it at Costco sometimes.

Non-Vintage Louis-Roederer Brut Premier can be found in stores for about the same price range as well.

Both are very good NV champagnes.

Last edited:
Home chef said:
I am planning a suprise trip to Paris for my wife's 30th birthday. We are leaving this upcoming Wednesday. As a part of my suprise I am hiring transportation to / from the airport. I want to have a good bottle of champagne for the trip to the airport.

Um, speaking as a wife, I wouldn't need that champagne! I would be so stunned and thrilled by the trip I would be smooching my husband's face off all the way to the airport. (Ken take note please) Way to go Home Chef!

Alix said:
Um, speaking as a wife, I wouldn't need that champagne! I would be so stunned and thrilled by the trip I would be smooching my husband's face off all the way to the airport. (Ken take note please) Way to go Home Chef!

What would a ride on the bus to the liquor store for a bottle of cheap wine get me?:neutral:

Is there a difference between $20 a bottle vs $100+? Spend your money in Paris shopping, or a really great gourmet meal!

What a sweetheart you are! Drinking champagne in the limo on your way to the airport is the perfect start to your trip! You must have a very special lady.

I'm no Champagne expert, but the first I tasted was Dom Perignon. My FIL to be bought a bottle for my 19th birthday. I loved the way the bubbles went up my nose, and got a bit giggly by the time I drank a second glass. It's too rich for my pocket book, though. Last time I saw it at the liquor store, it was $130. After drinking that, every thing I've tasted since then has fallen way short.

Something I do like, and can afford is asti spumante...Italian champagne-style wine. A really good brand is only about $30 a bottle...something we can afford now and then.

I love those bubbles!

I have no answers for you Home chef - Korbel Brut is splurging for me...but what a great way to treat your lady for her 30th birthday! Way to go!!

Constance said:
What a sweetheart you are! Drinking champagne in the limo on your way to the airport is the perfect start to your trip! You must have a very special lady.

Who said it was a limo:-p Actually, my neighbor owns a bunch of helicopters. I own a party rental business and I did a party for his 7 year old son for free. He then offered to fly us to O'Hare in his executive helicopter and pick us up for free. How could I pass that up. So that's where we'll be consuming the bubbly. As far as spending the money in Paris, I've already got that covered. Basically, I just ran into an extra $150 and was hoping for a nice bottle of champagne.

What about Crystal (sp?) That's what all the rap music mogles drink by the case. What does that stuff run?

I enjoy Mercier brut - but we normally pick it up at the source when we visit France.

Another one I like is Bollinger.

Well, I went to my favorite wine merchant this morning. Luckily their champagne rep was there. I asked for a good bottle between $50.00 and $150.00. She walked me over to the champagne area and looked over the selection and prices. A moment later her eyes lit up and said "Here, take this one. It must be mis-marked because it is noramlly a $125.00 bottle here." I took her word for it and immediately paid for it and left. The brand she chose for me was called Pol Roger Extra Cuvee De Reserve Brut 1995. I paid $55.00 for it. Anyone have any remarks on this brand?

Pol Roger is a very good and very famous champagne house. They were a favorite of Winston Churchill, and Pol Roger named a champagne after him.

Though I have never tasted any of their product.

Can't find a 1995 on the internet, but the 1996 is popular and goes for about $70.

I'm sure you will both enjoy it.

p.s. you ARE a sweetie!

Just a quick update on the champagne I picked out. First, let me say I really don't like champagne. I never really have. But... This champagne was very, very good! I can't believe we drank the whole bottle in a matter of 15 minutes! By all means, if it's affordab;e, pick up a bottle of Pol Roger and put it in the cellar for a special day. I promise you won't regret it.

Back
Top Bottom