"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 11-25-2005, 01:41 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Champagne anyone?

I can, more or less, BS my way around wines. However, champagne is another story entirely. Having never really properly introduced myself to champagne I have no idea what to look for other than the fact that if it wasn't made from graped from teh Champagne region of France than it cannot be called so.

With that being said, I am planning a suprise trip to Paris for my wife's 30th birthday. We are leaving this upcoming Wednesday. As a part of my suprise I am hiring transportation to / from the airport. I want to have a good bottle of champagne for the trip to the airport.

My theory is this... Anyone can say "Just get a bottle of Dom or White Star". Not that they aren't great champagnes, it's just that there has to be other brands out there that are just as refreshing and 'special'. I don't really care about the price since it is a birthday present and all.

Can anyone recommend a very good bottle for around the $100 +/- range?

Old 11-25-2005, 03:37 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home chef
I can, more or less, BS my way around wines. However, champagne is another story entirely. Having never really properly introduced myself to champagne I have no idea what to look for other than the fact that if it wasn't made from graped from teh Champagne region of France than it cannot be called so.

With that being said, I am planning a suprise trip to Paris for my wife's 30th birthday. We are leaving this upcoming Wednesday. As a part of my suprise I am hiring transportation to / from the airport. I want to have a good bottle of champagne for the trip to the airport.

My theory is this... Anyone can say "Just get a bottle of Dom or White Star". Not that they aren't great champagnes, it's just that there has to be other brands out there that are just as refreshing and 'special'. I don't really care about the price since it is a birthday present and all.

Can anyone recommend a very good bottle for around the $100 +/- range?
Non-Vintage Perrier-Jouet (the bottle with the flowers on it) is usually between $90-115 a bottle at most places. I've seen it at Costco sometimes.

Non-Vintage Louis-Roederer Brut Premier can be found in stores for about the same price range as well.

Both are very good NV champagnes.

Old 11-25-2005, 04:18 PM   #3
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home chef
I am planning a suprise trip to Paris for my wife's 30th birthday. We are leaving this upcoming Wednesday. As a part of my suprise I am hiring transportation to / from the airport. I want to have a good bottle of champagne for the trip to the airport.
Um, speaking as a wife, I wouldn't need that champagne! I would be so stunned and thrilled by the trip I would be smooching my husband's face off all the way to the airport. (Ken take note please) Way to go Home Chef!
Old 11-25-2005, 04:26 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Um, speaking as a wife, I wouldn't need that champagne! I would be so stunned and thrilled by the trip I would be smooching my husband's face off all the way to the airport. (Ken take note please) Way to go Home Chef!
What would a ride on the bus to the liquor store for a bottle of cheap wine get me?
Old 11-25-2005, 04:32 PM   #5
Everymom

Old 11-25-2005, 05:44 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Is there a difference between $20 a bottle vs $100+? Spend your money in Paris shopping, or a really great gourmet meal!
Old 11-25-2005, 06:15 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Erik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken
What would a ride on the bus to the liquor store for a bottle of cheap wine get me?
Nice!!!!!!!!
Old 11-25-2005, 07:03 PM   #8
Master Chef

What a sweetheart you are! Drinking champagne in the limo on your way to the airport is the perfect start to your trip! You must have a very special lady.

I'm no Champagne expert, but the first I tasted was Dom Perignon. My FIL to be bought a bottle for my 19th birthday. I loved the way the bubbles went up my nose, and got a bit giggly by the time I drank a second glass. It's too rich for my pocket book, though. Last time I saw it at the liquor store, it was $130. After drinking that, every thing I've tasted since then has fallen way short.

Something I do like, and can afford is asti spumante...Italian champagne-style wine. A really good brand is only about $30 a bottle...something we can afford now and then.

I love those bubbles!
Old 11-25-2005, 07:47 PM   #9
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
Ken, might I suggest a taxi? A little more intimate than a bus......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Old 11-25-2005, 07:50 PM   #10
Head Chef

I have no answers for you Home chef - Korbel Brut is splurging for me...but what a great way to treat your lady for her 30th birthday! Way to go!!

callie is offline   Reply With Quote