Cherry Brandy vs Cherry Liqueur

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrsjunecleaver

Assistant Cook
Can someone tell me what the difference is between cherry brandy and cherry liqueur? I have 2 recipes I plan to try and one calls for Kirsch and the other just calls for cherry liqueur. Can they possibly be interchanged?
Thanks so much.
June

I am going to take a guess, which may depend on the brand that you buy also, but cherry brandy is just that- brandy with a hint of cherry flavor. The cherry liqueur is probably sweeter and very cherry taste. I would say you could use either for a different flavor variation. Hopefully someone else may have a more educated answer!

shannon in KS said:
I am going to take a guess, which may depend on the brand that you buy also, but cherry brandy is just that- brandy with a hint of cherry flavor. The cherry liqueur is probably sweeter and very cherry taste. I would say you could use either for a different flavor variation. Hopefully someone else may have a more educated answer!

That's correct. Cherry Brandy is used usually as a mixer for cocktails (i.e. Singapore Sling) and only has a hint of cherry flavor. Cherry liqueur has a strong flavor (think Peach Schnaaps) and will have a much more dominating taste. It can taste like Vicks Formula 44.

I use cherry brandy (Hiram Walker) for my alcoholic fruit salad...best I can remember, I bought it because the Kirsch was pretty expensive. So is Kirsch a brandy too, just a pricier one?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom