"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 12-06-2006, 02:09 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Cherry Heering vs. Cherry Kijafa

Seems at Christmas all the liqour is on sale, less than during the year. I seem to spend more time there recently just studying what other people are buying besides one I know. I always buy Jack Daniels in big container for egg nog. Port wine. Recently buying Grey Goose Vodka, that is so good. And now my question: Cherry Herring vs. Cherry Kadja? Don't know if I have the spelling correct but these two were right next to each other. Anyone tell me about them? Oh, I thank you all for your response that you always give each and everytime I ask. I never go wrong when I ask you first. thanks.

Old 12-06-2006, 03:32 PM   #2
Head Chef

I love to shop at Costco this time of year because they have such a great selection of wines and all great liquors for the Holidays.

TGIF Fridays has a great selection of bottled drinks and they are absolutely delicious.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 04:24 PM   #3
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I'm guessing you mean Cherry Heering and Cherry Kijafa? Both of them are sweet and syrupy, imo. I haven't had either of them in a long time! You're reminding me that they are interesting mixers with sparkling wine as a sort of Kir Royale, or with vodka or gin... or even sparkling water.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:03 PM   #4
Head Chef

Gosh, I haven't heard, or thought about, Cherry Heering in years. It used to be a very faddish item in the 50's. My parents would have a bottle when they had a few guests (don't know how they served the stuff), and my relatives would always have some for family and guests when we, as kids, went, or were dragged along, along for the holidays.

Don't think I ever tried it (was far too young in those days, just always took in almost anything adults said or did at that age, as I guess all kids do).

Gotta buy a bottle and give it a go. Maybe I can use it in drinks or cooking (maybe with some dried cherries and brandy).

Sorry I cannot be of any help here, you just brought back some memories.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:11 PM   #5
Sous Chef

I haven't even seen Cherry Heering in ages. I used to love the stuff - on ice with a little soda or seltzer and lime.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:25 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Welcome for a drink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborwitch
I haven't even seen Cherry Heering in ages. I used to love the stuff - on ice with a little soda or seltzer and lime.
You are welcome to come over to my house and have a drink! You could tell me how to fix it. Hope it isn't something no one here likes. Isn't this stupid I am afraid to open it before anyone else gets to sample it? Just can't rip it open myself. Sounds as if you thought it was okay.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:33 PM   #7
Sous Chef

If you like cherries you will love this stuff. It is sweet - but like cherries on steroids. As I recall it's a Danish liquor - I may have to check Beverages & More and see if they have it.

Glass, ice cubes, Cherry Heering, a good splash of seltzer and a squeeze of lime. Perfection. It's also good over vanilla ice cream.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:34 AM   #8
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
It also makes a tasty flavor component for a Pound Cake Glaze.

Drunk alone, I'd describe it as "icky sweet," but as Sharon said, with about 3/4 of a glass of seltzer and a squeeze of lime, it's a refreshing bevvie.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:41 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Different

Sounds very good! Something different!! Thank you so much for giving me your opinions. It sure helps to know I didn't buy something I won't like. Sound so good w/seltzer and lime. Happy you know what I am talking about. As I said, visiting the liqour department is not familiar to me. Just seems they all are marking so many of the things down in that area. Always look for bargain.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:20 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborwitch
If you like cherries you will love this stuff. It is sweet - but like cherries on steroids. As I recall it's a Danish liquor - I may have to check Beverages & More and see if they have it.

Glass, ice cubes, Cherry Heering, a good splash of seltzer and a squeeze of lime. Perfection. It's also good over vanilla ice cream.
Ooooooo, that sounds good!