"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 12-09-2004, 07:13 PM   #1
Executive Chef

CholesteroL

I have heard about this for so long and now they say 121 is high reading. Does this mean I can't drink any wine anymore? I was afraid to ask him about drinking. He doesn't like anything that makes you feel good. Anybody got cholesterol? What the heck is it? Didn't have time to explain much.

Old 12-09-2004, 07:20 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
A fat-like substance that is made by the body and is found naturally in animal foods such as meat, fish, poultry, eggs, and dairy products. Foods high in cholesterol include liver and organ meats, egg yolks, and dairy fats. Cholesterol is carried in the blood. When cholesterol levels are too high, some of the cholesterol is deposited on the walls of the blood vessels. Over time, the deposits can build up causing the blood vessels to narrow and blood flow to decrease. The cholesterol in food, like saturated fat, tends to raise blood cholesterol, which increases the risk for heart disease. Total blood cholesterol levels above 240 mg/dl are considered high. Levels between 200-239 mg/dl are considered borderline high. Levels under 200 mg/dl are considered desirable. I'm not a doctor though.
I have heard that a glass of wine a day is actually good for you. Ask you doctor to be safe. Do you drink alot of wine? With your nieghbors?

Old 12-09-2004, 07:28 PM   #3
Everymom

MJ is right ITK. Wine is good for you, in moderation of course. There are two kinds of cholesterol, and even if your reading is high you may not be in trouble yet. You need to ask for the breakdown and find out if it is good or bad cholesterol that is making your reading high. Things like dairy fat contribute to the "bad" stuff and things like nuts to the "good" stuff.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:20 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Things to watch out for in any case are trans-fatty acids, saturated fats, and hydrogenated oils. They are far more trouble for your overall cholesterol than is the cholesterol counts in animal products, which pass into the blood less easily than certain fats. Even still, animal products should be used in moderation.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:20 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Isn't this so sad? I get more information out of you people than I do the doctor. He acted like he didn't want to be bothered with me. I think patients are a waste of time or else he takes time to get his payment. I didn't understand him right and I have to call and talk to him. MJ you must really have a lot of knowledget about this topic. How are all of you doing? I thought exercise was beneficial for cholesterol. I also thought liver was good for you. Boy am I off base. What about butter? I have to eat yogurt for another problem I have is that wrong too? Thanks for your time. I do worry about bothering this doctor.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:25 AM   #6
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
ITK, that's what doctors are for! Bother away! I hate when doc's act that way. I have been lucky & all but 1 or 2 of my docs are very caring & want to know how I am doing & if there is anythng wrong they are always willing to take the time & try to help me.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:38 AM   #7
Executive Chef

I have the same trouble with my brothers. They care but they just don't seem to show it. Why do people make such an issue of communication? Isn't that what we are here for? Especially if you are getting paid for it? I have placed a call and he is to call when he gets time. They know my call is not emergency. I wonder if I would get same treatment then too? I hear so much about this cholesterol that seems as common as a cold. I thank you for your comments crewsk. You do make me feel better. Glad you got a good head on your shoulders.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:47 AM   #8
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Thanks ITK, glad i could help. I got that "good head" from a lot of hard lessons! I agree with you 100% about communication. It's always better to tell & show people how much you care that wind up waiting until it's too late. If you don't here back from your doc in the next couple of hours, I'd call him back & then keep doing that until he calles you back. I had to do that one night with my sons doc. He was about 6 monts old & running a 104.9 fever & the doc didn't call me back when the nurse said he would. I just kept calling until the nurse got tired of me calling & finally went & got him. Come to find out he was asleep because he had worked double shifts at the hospital. I felt bad for waking him up but not as bad as he felt for not knowing that I had called earlier.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:00 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

hiya itk,
i concur with mj about cholesterol, and your number of 121 is kinda low, so you shouldn't have to worry about eating foods with cholesterol. you only have to start watching your diet over 180.
it is an important number, but only when analyzed in relation to your levels of hdl (high density lipoproteins, the good stuff, you want a higher number), ldl's (low density lipoproteins, the bad stuff, you want a lower number), and tri-glycerides.
a doctor should check for the levels of all of these substances in your blood, and the ratios between them to be able to asses your coronary risk factors.
some of the latest news is not only the levels of these, but the size of the little buggers. i think i read somewhere that smaller lipoproteins are better than larger ones, so just the levels of them in your blood is not enough to determine risk.
so keep annoying your doctor to explain all of this to you, or at least give you some info to read on it. after all, he is being well paid (and over charged for malpractice insurance), and it's only your health we are talking about...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 12:31 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

buckytom, I hate to contradict you, but I think you have the HDL/LDL thing backasswards. I heard somewhere an easy way to remember the diff:

H - as in healthy
L - as in lousy

I went in to see the doc (a new one) recently because I got my cholesterol measured in June and it was pretty high. When the new doc saw my HDL level (85), she said that number just about cut out any worry about my cholesterol level. Not that I'm not gonna try to do something about the 200+ number, but I am less worried now.

Going back for the full monty physical in Feb.