Citrus Liquor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

I_M_Baker

Assistant Cook
I recently went down to Florida and got a few pounds of fresh off the tree citrus fruits. I kept them in a plastic bag on the counter until they got very soft. Then I put 90% of the fruit in a 2 gal. glass jar after I mashed them (leaving the skins on.) I boiled a pot with about a 1/4 cup of yeast to 5lbs. sugar in water, and added this to the jar The rest of the fruit was then put in a pot with 1 pound of sugar, 1 cup of yeast, and 5lbs. of corn. This mixture was boiled while cover with a lid until it was easily mashed. The corn mixture was then put into a plastic bucket that I had retro fitted with an air tight hose attached to the lid. A small cup of water was placed next to the bucket and the other end of the hose was placed in the cup. After about a month air bubbles stopped coming out of the hose. This meant that the "mash" was ready to distill. After the distillation process I use, I sat this almost pure alcohol in the freezer. I took the jar that had been fermenting in a warm place in my house, and filtered it through a strainer, then ran it through a filtration system that I made out of an old coffee maker, and finally through a 3yrd. sheet of cheese cloth that I folded into a 1' square that I secured over a bowl with a spout. Then I washed the cheese cloth and folded it in to a 5" square. I secured this to the top of each one pint mason jar, one at a time. I divided the citrus "wine" evenly into six one pint jars and the added the alcohol that I had made earlier. This taste very good and has an alcohol content of about 40-50% or 20-25 proof.

Sounds like you have your percents and proofs reversed.
But soaking raisins in rum for an ice cream topping is about the extent of my tolerance for sugary hooch.

Last edited:
I M where are you in West GA? I am in Cartersville. Nice to see another Georgian on the site. My uncle used to make Brandy. He would take corn shine and add peaches without the pit and cover with a tight lid for about 6-8 months. Then strain. WOW!

Lately, I've been drinking just vodka on ice with a bit of pink grapefruit juice and a packet or two of Splenda. It's really simple and it tastes great! Plus, there's no trouble in getting real sugar dissolved in a cold drink.

I_M_Baker;1229941 This taste very good and has an alcohol content of about 40-50% or 20-25 proof.[/QUOTE said:
I am sorry, but you went the wrong way 40 to 50% alcohol drink is 80 to 100 proof!

Back
Top Bottom