Club soda vs. Tonic vs. Seltzer water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Club soda is made by introducing carbon dioxide gas into water.

You may remember in old movies that bars had soda bottles with little cartridges of CO2 gas and qould squirt the soda right into the drink. It was also a favorite weapon forthe three stooges.

For what it's worth, according to wikipedia:

Carbonated water, also known as soda water, sparkling water, fizzy water, club soda, or seltzer water, is plain water into which carbon dioxide gas has been dissolved. The process of dissolving carbon dioxide gas is called carbonation. It results in the formation of carbonic acid (which has the chemical formula H2CO3).
In the past, soda water was produced in the home by "charging" a refillable seltzer bottle by filling it with water and then adding carbon dioxide. Club soda may be identical to plain carbonated water or it may contain a small amount of table salt, sodium citrate, sodium bicarbonate, potassium bicarbonate, potassium sulfate, or disodium phosphate, depending on the bottler. These additives are included to emulate the slightly salty taste of homemade soda water. In the UK Soda Water is nearly always made with Sodium Bicarbonate.[1]

The Little Penguin said:
For what it's worth, according to wikipedia... In the UK Soda Water is nearly always made with Sodium Bicarbonate.[1]
And I believe the same can be said about any "Club Soda" sold in Canada. As long as I can remember, sodium bicarbonate has been a key ingredient in club soda. I Have 3 brands here at the moment and each lists as ingredients: "carbonated water; sodium bicarbonate". And whether you order "club soda" or "soda water" here, chances are you'll be served a beverage containing carbonated water and sodium bicarbonate! ;)

Clearly the terms "club soda" and "soda water" are up for grabs elsewhere! Which reminds me...

While at a Brit car show in Tennessee last year I ordered a club soda and lemon at a restaurant and got a tonic water and lemon instead. No problem, I enjoyed it anyway, figured it was an honest mistake. Next time I ordered I mentioned that my last drink request might have been misunderstood, and could she please make sure my next drink was indeed a club soda. Well, it was tonic water again. I alerted the server of the possible error but she insisted that she served me soda... :huh:

Well... It's all clear as mud now :LOL:

G

*edited for that darn typo... I know: spellcheck!

Last edited:
Regarding a gin and tonic...would making gin and club soda taste noticably different than a gin and tonic? Would it be worse?

Regarding a gin and tonic...would making gin and club soda taste noticably different than a gin and tonic? Would it be worse?

Tonic (quinine) water has a distinct taste and is different from club soda. Gin and soda should be a refreshing drink, just different from the G&T.

Back
Top Bottom