Club soda vs. Tonic vs. Seltzer water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
What is the difference between club soda, tonic, and seltzer water? To me they all just seem like carbonated water. When would you use one over the other in a drink?

Club soda and seltzer are the same thing. They can be used for mixers or some people like them with a squeeze of lemon or lime just to drink.

Tonic is sweetened and used to mix with gin or vodka, among other things.

Club soda is also good for cleaning little specs of red wine out of carpet :blush:

Tonic water is flavored with quinine or a synthetic equivalent and is used to make gin and tonic. Club soda and seltzer are unflavored carbonated water.

crankin said:
What is the difference between club soda, tonic, and seltzer water? To me they all just seem like carbonated water. When would you use one over the other in a drink?

As kitchenelf stated, seltzer and club soda are basically the same deal. Tonic water is carbonated water that is made somewhat bitter by quinine but which is also sweetened. (I cannot describe the taste; you just have to try it!)

As a general rule, tonic is a good mixer for vodka and gin, but it's uncommon to mix it with "brown" liquor. Club soda, on the other hand, is not only a common mixer for vodka and gin, but also for bourbon and scotch.

Allow me to go on record as proclaiming that there is nothing, absolutely nothing quite so refreshing on a hot day as a good cold gin and tonic (preferrably with Schweppes).

Buck said:
Allow me to go on record as proclaiming that there is nothing, absolutely nothing quite so refreshing on a hot day as a good cold gin and tonic (preferrably with Schweppes).

Truer words were never spoken!

Buck said:

All I can do is agree, and add that a bit of freshly squeezed lime is a must.

The gin and tonic is a mighty fine drink!

Club soda may not be the same as seltzer water. When I was a kid we used to buy club soda in the bottles (like Hoffman). I was never all that keen on them. Then my brother, who liked seltzer with his whiskey, got the stuff delievered in those thick spritzer bottles. Boy was that stuff good. Later found out that many of the club soda bottlers add some type of salt, including table salt, to water when making the club soda. Whereas seltzer is just water with carbon dioxide.

At least that is as I understand it.

Buck said:

Ixnay the Ginay.

Vodka for me.:wacko:

club soda contains SALT
seltzer does not, simply carbonation
quinine is flavored with quinine and SUGAR or sweetener
QUinine mixes with clear liquors and citrus, the other two with whiskeys

Jeekinz said:
Ixnay the Ginay.

Vodka for me.:wacko:

My problem with vodka in drinks is that it doesn't have enough flavor. It get bowled over by the tonic and the drink just tastes like slightly waterey tonic to me. But with gin, you can taste the mingling of the two.

I like vodka, but well-chilled and neat is the only way for me!

Buck said:
I'll put my own lemon-lime-orange-brandy-club soda sangria up against your nasty, bitter gin n' tonic any day ;)

GotGarlic said:
I'll put my own lemon-lime-orange-brandy-club soda sangria up against your nasty, bitter gin n' tonic any day ;)

Ah the great divide.... the sweet/fruit cocktail fans versus the bitter/strong cocktail fans. I fear the two shall never see eye-to-eye.

:)

Robo410 said:
club soda contains SALT
seltzer does not, simply carbonation
quinine is flavored with quinine and SUGAR or sweetener
QUinine mixes with clear liquors and citrus, the other two with whiskeys

Most club soda does not contain salt. Some contain sodium and other minerals but few if any add salt.

Club soda and seltzer mix very nicely with clear liquors, as well as whiskeys.

jennyema said:
Yes but white rum and vodka, esp. flavored vodka (think Absolut Ruby Red) pair very nicely with soda.

I have a friend who really likes Stoli Vanilla and soda. Not my thing but I must admit it tasted pretty good.

For me, you just can beat a quality potato vodka, neat, striaght from the freezer and into a chilled glass, maybe with some pierogies.

The Little Penguin said:
I have a friend who really likes Stoli Vanilla and soda. Not my thing but I must admit it tasted pretty good.

For me, you just can beat a quality potato vodka, neat, striaght from the freezer and into a chilled glass, maybe with some pierogies.
This reminds me of a Russian friend of mine. I met him straight away after he got here seeking permanent asylum. I brought a bottle of vodka as a gift once and he said "But why, Terry? Russians never buy vodka." I asked him where he got the vodka he always offered me and he said "I make, of course." Turned out he made all his vodka in a little plastic gardening sink out of potatoes! Even though I had already consumed a fair amount of it previously with no ill effects - I needed corrective lenses before - I viewed every drink he offered me with suspicion from then on! But he always served it with some little dumplings similar to pierogies which were heavenly. (Actually that's been about 6 years now and I think he buys his vodka now like the rest of us.)

Back
Top Bottom