Cocktail party help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lol... a bouncer! That is a great idea. I told Paul last night we ought to hire a bartender. He just laughed at me. I wonder why??

Really, you guys are great.
Thank you for all the ideas.

Don't forget to pre-cut your lemons, limes, strawberries, pineapples, and also drain olives, cherries, cocktail onions....etc and put them in tupperware in the fridge for your garnishes!

List for pds....
1. make friends with the manager at the liquor warehouse
2. make friends with a good bartender
3. make friends with a big muscular man.......

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhure!

Who's got a big muscular man they can lend to pds on April 1st?

Here's another idea, since you have time to plan. Give your party a sophisticated feel by making sure there's some type of dress code. You know, little boys always behave better when they're in their good clothes. The same goes for big boys who drink.

jkath said:
Here's another idea, since you have time to plan. Give your party a sophisticated feel by making sure there's some type of dress code. You know, little boys always behave better when they're in their good clothes. The same goes for big boys who drink.

No we don't. :devilish:

John :angel:

oooo, pds, good luck and have fun! i'm the unofficial "social director" of the department at work...which is to say, if i don't throw a big schindig at my house, there's no big get-togethers for the crew. having cooked/bartended for 30+ every few months for a couple years now, here's my tips:

i **definately** agree with the person that said "beer, wine, and ONE other drink." get a big ol vat (fancy copper bowl to old cruddy ice chest, whatever's available at your house) and fill it up with 2 or 3 kinds of decent beer and plenty of sodas & bottled water. find a decent red or white, depending of course on what you like and what you're eating, and get several bottles all the same, so you don't have to think too hard when in the midst of entertaining. last, make the big decision: rum or tequila/triple sec? go with your preference, i've never had anyone be sad over blenderfuls of tasty frozen treats. hit up the store a couple days before and buy whatever overripe fruit is on sale, ideally seedless or easily de-seeded (apples are a bit too crunchy for the blender to deal with, all other things fine). fresh (very ripe) watermelon makes **wonderful** daquiris. alternately, look in the more ethnic-food section of the store to find fruit juices labelled "nectar", as these will be much thicker and work great in the blender (mango-ritas rock). if you pick just one liquor (rum = daquiris, tequila with some triple sec = margaritas) and change up the fruit every blender-load, it feels like you have a whole lot of different things when it's basically all the same.

have fun, don't stress!

pdswife said:
:):)Sure! YES, please do!!!
The flights are a bit expensive, but thanks anyway! it's cheaper to post you a Kenyan cocktail recipe.

Crocodile in the Sky( It's sweetness deceives it's passionate bite)
I tot vodka
I tot orange liqueur
Passion Juice
Fresh lime juice sugar syrup
Ice cubes

Mix together and pour in a white wine glass with a sugared rim, garnish with a slice of orange and a strawberry. (Use toothpick at attach strawberry to orange slice)

Thank you Sizzles! I've added this one to the collection.

I bet it tastes GREAT and looks nice too!

pdswife said:
Well... I've finally done it!!! Yipppeeeee!! I've convinced Paul that it's time the Shaffer's threw a hum dinger of a cocktail party.

The date is planned for April 1st.
So far there's about 35 people on the guest list but we keep adding more.
I'm figuring that by the time we send the invites out there will be around 50 people....

I'm pretty sure I can handle the food. I'll make bunches of dips and chips
and relish and fruit trays and a few desserts, all finger foods. Cooking for such a large crowd will be a challange but, I know I can do it. Paul and I have agreed that we don't want to ask our friends to bring anything.

The problem we're having is what kind of drinks to serve. We'll have white and red wine and beer but most of our friends really like mixed drinks. We want some fruity sweet girly drinks and a few harder "man" like drinks.

What would you do?
What are some of your favorite drinks? We need them to be quick and easy as Paul will be the only bar tender ( at least until people start getting tipsy and helping themselves):):):):)

Thanks in advance!

smiles, Trish and Paul

I would hire a bartender... 50 people and serving/preparing food, won't leave you much time to enjoy the party and your guests. Keep the bar well stocked & don't forget tonics/sodas/ice/glasses, etc. Re wine, you could check if you have a Trader Joe's in your area - and if 2 buck chuck is still around. I know you mentioned not wanting to ask guests to bring something... but you could specify on the invites BYOB - or have an open bar & let guests serve themselves. A party store will have disposable drinking glasses - saves a lot of time & broken glass. Sangria is an easy drink to put in a pitcher & let guests serve themselves.

We do have a Trader Joes in Issy. I love it!
Hiring a bartender is out of the question... I'd love it but... Paul is cheap and I'm even cheaper lol. You're so right about it being so much work that it leaves little time for me to have fun and enjoy the night but... we have a few friends that will pitch in and help with the food and after a few rounds of drinks people will start to help themselves. There's a core group of people coming ( we'll at least they are invited) that we've been partying with for years. We all know each other so well that it'll be fine everyone will just join in the fun and if they see we need something more they'll go get it.

I will mention on the invites that we'll have a bunch of drinks here but if anyone wants anything special they can bring it.

This is the third big party that we've had in the last 9 years. The first...was our wedding reception MIL did most of the cooking and we bought a keg and then everyone bought the boozes of their choice.
The second one I did most of the cooking with some help from friends who came up from Oregon for the whole weekend. We had a million types of drinks everything anyone could want. We're going to cut down on the choices this year. I really liked the idea some one had of only having one main drink, plus the beer and wine.

You're so right about the plastic cups!
We have a ton left over from the last two parties and will be
using those. I always buy way way too much stuff. We still have plastic silverware wrapped in pretty napkins from the wedding party and I've used them at for at least 4 potlucks. I'm so bad!

We're thinking of doing a theme... but can't really think of one. The party is on April Fools day though so... something fun will pop up!

Thanks Mish . How do you make your Sangria. I've never had it but... have heard it mentioned so many times that it must be good!

Sangria is basically red wine, with a bit of hard liquor (usually a clear one like rum, tequila or vodka, but brandy works well too), citrus fruit (either just the juices or chopped up pieces) and a sweetener such as simple syrup or honey.

There are tons of variations of the drink and no right or wrong way to make it, really. If you always start out with the basics and then add as you go it can never go wrong.

You can add any other kind of fruit that is fresh. You can add white wine along with the red. You can skip the hard liquor. You get the idea. =P

:heart:
Z

You're welcome, pds. :) This looks like a good link, since there are a variety of suggestions and recipes for a large group. The one for Whatever is around the house, looks like a snap. I prefer Sangria served in a clear pitcher, so you can see all the colorful slices of fruit floating around with the ice cubes... oranges, lemons, limes, cherries - just about anything you like. Hope you find one you like, and the party is a big success.

http://www.wineintro.com/sangria/

Back
Top Bottom