Cooking With Wine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I keep boxed wine near my cooktop to cook with. I keep a box of Chardonnay and a box of Cabernet Sauvignon or Burgundy to cook with. All of these are suitable to cook with when a recipe calls for white or red wine. Boxed wines will keep for a very long time (a year or so) as no air gets to the surface of the wine to oxidize it).

So...........if you need more recipes to use up that wine we've got them :chef:

You can cook some chicken thighs (along with other ingredients) in either red or white wine.

What AndyM said. Look for box wines. The old adage that you use the same wine you would serve has been modified a bit--use a wine you would drink (duh!) but it doesn't have to be a real top of the line wine.
Wine should also be simmered to drive off the raw alcohol taste. This will happen naturally in cooked dishes. Sometimes the wine is concentrated by half before being used in the dish also. This is important in marinades in particular, according to Thomas Keller.
Sweet wines would completely change the character of a dish that calls for a non-sweet wine.
Vermouth is a good all purpose wine to cook with--to keep on hand--for a white wine.
Donot use "cooking wines" from the supermarket--it is salted.

Back
Top Bottom