Cork, composite or plastic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
Hi friends, Last night Tanya and Sharon (work buddies) and I got together to make some soap, with a few bottles of wine. It was a terrific time.
The question is: Is this a cork cork, a composite cork or a plastic/rubber cork? Tanya said it's a composite and Sharon and I believe it's a cork cork. It's smooth but has somme tiny indentions, it's engraved with the wine name and a picture. Almost looks polished. When stuffed back in the bottle, it breaks a little on the edge to squeeze back into the bottle.
Anyone know anything about this subject?
Rancho Zabaco, Sonoma HEritage Vines, Zinfandel, Sonoma County 2006. It was delicious, and I have a half bottle saved for another day. And it's RED!!! Yum.
Any cork officionatos (sp?) out there? TIA ~Bliss

It may be one of the new variety made of recycled (chipped) rubber. They have the look and feel of a corrk cork and I've been seeing alot of them latley. At least it wasn't a screw top, which many wineries are going to these days.

At least it wasn't a screw top, which many wineries are going to these days.
There is nothing wrong with screw tops. They are actually the best at keeping air out. They may not be as aesthetically pleasing, but they work better than anything else.

I have heard that screw tops are the best, but they just look and feel so cheap.

well, as interesting as this is, I'm really looking for someone that knows this wine and that can tell me what kind of cork I have here, cause, I'm just interested in that. Though I appreciate your comments. And thank you for the commentary. ~Bliss
edited to add: the cork stains red, I don't think plastic would do that, not sure about composite.

Last edited:
Dang GB you made me have to work so hard. lol. get out the camera, take pics and then find the cords to the computer, then copy to the c drive, sheesh, then ftp it to the server........i'm exhausted, but, hey, I'm trying. so here are the pics.
IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

LOL you need a vacation now :)

Well I would say it is not a rubber or plastic cork. My guess is regular run of the mill old fashioned cork.

Back
Top Bottom