Cost of wine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dina - It appears that you paid a fair price considering where you bought it from. You can get it from the winery a bit cheaper but then you have to factor in shipping...it evens out a bit. However, if it can be found in other areas and stores (i.e., out of the tourist areas) you might find it for a couple/few dollars less.

So, have you had it yet?

Yes. We had it last Thursday ~ our 15th anniversary. We had some wine sampling at the wine shop where we got it from so we knew how it would taste. Thanks for checking into it.

We purchase most of our wine from Costco. They are the largest wine importer and seller in the US. If you have one in your area, I would recommend checking them out. If they have someone who knows wine doing the ordering, they usually have some great values on highly rated wines. I particularly like the store in NW Houston. This summer they have had some wines rated in the low 90's by Wine Spectator at excellent prices. The Tin Roof Merlot ( rated at 90 ) at $7.97 is very smooth and drinkable, the Merridan Chardonnay (not rated) at $11.97 for a 2 pack is a great value for a very drinkable Chardonnay that's not heavily oaked. If I had the storage I'd buy a case of each.

It also is a good idea to check more than one Csotco store for wines. Each carries a different variety. Sometimes the same wine is sold at different prices in different stores.

I just wanted a simple answer. I guess I didn't make myself clear. Who buys grand rouge and for how much?
I think that what everyone is telling you is that are no simple answers. Basically, if you tasted the wine, liked it, and could afford it, it is a good wine. If you want to learn more about wines, attend some of the wine tastings, as you did with your bottle. Most wine stores have free wine tastings, and I have attended several wine dinners promoted by distributors or producers. All are fun and good sources of information. The dinners give a good insight as to pairings. Most tend to be a little pricey, but worth it to me.

I used your link, Dina, and they have it for sale for $14.95/bottle. I don't know about shipping, though. Here it is:
Texas Hill Country Winery and Vineyards, Frederickburg TX, Bed and Breakfast, Events, Weddings, Meetings, Wine - Sweet Wines
If ya'll really liked it, maybe you can buy a case at a discount. (I love sweet red wines!)

Looks like we paid a few dollars more but it's alright. We loved the wine and we're going back for more.

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.

I think that I would check with some local wine stores, often their prices are better, and, if you buy a case, you usually get a discount. Get the merchant to complete the case with a couple of other recommended bottles, or better still, tell them what food you are having, and ask for recommendations. Wine is fun to play with.

We have two wineries here in Lubbock, the LLano winery is very good. I like a nice Merlot and I can get that for under $10 my wife likes a ST. Genevieve wine from Ft. Stockton at about $9.

I agree with the other posters it is what you like that counts some very expensive wines may not suit me.

later

Back
Top Bottom