Do you know why we clank glasses when we drink?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ardge

Senior Cook
USA - Chicago, Illinois ~ On a windy day, I can a
You've seen and done it a million times. You've cracked open a few sodas. You've poured a few classes of wine. You've twisted off a few beer caps. You've passed those drinks out to your friends. Inevitably, you've clunked the bottles or glasses together. "Here's to ya!" "Down the hatch." "Salute!"

Do you know why we do that? I mean, think about it. It seems kinda silly. CLUNK! "Oh, thanks. Now I can drink this."

Well, when I was in culinary school, a very hip chef instructor told me what he believed to be the reason. After he told me, I was like, "Wow... that's really cool." I recently had this discussion with a few people at work and they too were enlightened after I told them. I'm gonna throw it to you. Why is this "clanking" a part of our sharing of beverages?

I'll post up the answer (or what I believe to be the answer) later on today.

Something tells me that someone's gonna have the answer here quick though. We're all foodies!

RJ

rj, you forgot cheers, chin chin, slainte', and skol...

i know why, but i'll hold off until some others give it a shot.

another question: why do you call the speech at the beginning of a celebration a "toast"?????

My best guess is the clanking has something to do with bugs. The clanking was either to scare bugs off or an attempt to settle the dead ones to the bottom of the drink.

I'm sure there's a better reason, but that's my best guess.

I think the clinking is to make a noise to scare off any lurking ghoulies, but don't know for sure.

Here's a toast for you though

"Here's to Adam the father of us all;
who was Johnny on the spot when the leaves began to fall"

Skoal!!!

I have heard a few reasons. One was that you clink glasses so that you spill a little into each glass to prove none of them were poisoned.

Another reason is like what wasabi woman said. It was believed that spirits actually did contain spirits and the clinking was to scare them off.

I think it's the spirit thing too. I normally only do it when I'm too drunk to stand up & my glass hits someone elses when they are trying to catch me! :LOL:

OK, since I have to go to work in about 3 hours and I am a bit sleepy (nap time ahead), I will go ahead and post my answer.

Now, understand that there is no scientific way to verify any of these answers. The ones you all posted so far are cool, but I still like this one the best.

When you're drinking and among friends, you're relaxing. It's a celebration of sorts. When you "clank" your drinking vessels together, you've included the 5th and final of your senses.

Sight - You see your drink: color, carbonation, ice, etc.
Smell - You can smell your drink. (baring straight Vodka)
Touch - You can hold and feel the drink: glass -- cold or not, condensation, etc.
Taste - Duh!

and finally....

CLANK!

Hearing - You can now hear your drink.

All 5 senses are awaken in the process and will all be stimulated in the experience.

Whadaya think? I like that answer.

Hey everyone.....

Here's to you all..... CLANK!

RJ

"clink" back atcha rj...

"thru the teeth and over the gums, look out stomach, here it comes..."

GB said:
I have heard a few reasons. One was that you clink glasses so that you spill a little into each glass to prove none of them were poisoned.

Another reason is like what wasabi woman said. It was believed that spirits actually did contain spirits and the clinking was to scare them off.

This is the way I heard it too. You spilled the wine into the next person's goblet as a way to eliminate the possibility that only the host's wine isn't poisoned. Eventually, you clinked glasses together in a symbolic gesture of this medievel custom.

okay it looks like it started out as a way to keep from being poisoned. Somebody said something like "it keeps bad spirits away" meaning the poison, but the person hearing it thought they meant ghosts. So then everyone was doing it as a wish to keep anything "bad" from happening.
And in those days it was a "clank" from the metal goblets that they used.

But I'm guessing that the reason we keep doing it today is for the pleasant "clink" that the glass (crystal if you're Martha Stewart) makes to our ears!

Thanks RJ, it's been fun!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom