Do you use fresh lemons/limes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fresh or bottled lemon/lime juice?

• Fresh

Votes: 31 91.2%
  • Bottled

Votes: 3 8.8%

• Total voters
Always fresh! I have considered the new crystals for "in a pinch" times - but they're always on hand - for drinks, cooking, everything!

I have been known to buy bottled lemon juice when I'm canning tons of tomatoes - but that's about the only time, and I do mean tons and tons before I buy bottled. (and never those creepy fake plastic ones!)

Now I try to keep lemon juice in the freezer and the zest too!

I would like to always buy fresh. But they never keep in my house. And always end up throwing away rotten lemons! So Im forced to buy the bottled stuff. I certainly agree though, it tastes NOTHING like the real thing. Never. A poor excuse as it hardly tastes like lemon juice, it tastes acidy, but not quite like lemons.

You can buy frozen lemon juice, which is much better than the icky stuff in bottles.

I buy a bunch of lemons or limes on sale, juice them and freeze the juice myself. If you do it in ice cube trays, and dump the cubes into a bag, you can use the amount you need, no trouble.

Be sure to zest some of them, and freeze that, too. Really adds a zing to dishes.

Good idea. I assume they keep well for long?

I always use fresh lemon or lime; I prepare serbat with lemon juice and use lemon/lime juice in different food preparations.

I would think that if you kept the cubes tightly wrapped (maybe with that new vacuum thingie I have been reading about) that they would keep for months.

I haven't purchased the frozen lemon juice for a long time. I do remember that it tasted much better than bottled, but I don't even know if they make it any more.

Always fresh...I walk outside and pick 'em!

Yeah ... not really an option with 6" of snow on the ground ... ;)

I just bought some that frozen lemon juice recommended in an earlier post. It is made by Minute Maid. I am still waiting on to to thaw in the fridge so I cannot testify to its quality yet. Looks promising though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom