"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 03-22-2007, 03:19 PM   #11
Head Chef

I am not in the south now, but have lived not too far from where Michael is (Dallas, then Lewisville, to be exact) at one point, and worked extensively in OK, AR, and TN. And while I did not then, I now COULD make that magical water up here in the north... (Again, here in this horrible city where so many fear to tread. But hey! We're as safe as Iraq accoring to a Michigan congressman! )

As for the bourbon, yes I do collect it. Not as a collector, but I always seem to be picking up a new one to try. Same with vodka, and tequila, and wine, and beer.... I think I currently have about 7 different bourbons at the house.

John

Edited to add: Should anyone want to ventur up here, let me know and I'll make sure the bar is well stocked (More so than normal)

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:53 PM   #12
Head Chef

Nah,
Sorry Uncle Bob. All that I collect are the empty bottles
BTW if you're free this weekend, they're holding a Beer Bourbon and BBQ fest here in Timonium Md.
I think you'd have a great time!
Beer Bourbon & BBQ Festival
Wish I could make it

Old 03-22-2007, 06:37 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

JohnL

Thanks for the invite. Maryland want fit into my schedule this week-end. I checked my calendar and I am previously engaged. It sounds however as if it will be a fun event. Something for everybody. Beer, Bourbon, and BBQ, How can you go wrong! Maybe things will change and you can attend. If ya do, be sure to give me a full report on all the sights, smells and taste.

Enjoy...

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 11:23 PM   #14
Senior Cook

I am a HUGE Jim Beam fan. I had the luxury of going on their tour and absolutely adored the entire visit.. Not to mention to LOVE that Ol' Bookers gives in a bottle is hard to beat.. Now my bottle of Bookers only comes out on special occasions..

Next time I am in Kentucky (Around April) I am going to Makers Mark..

-Brad
Old 03-23-2007, 04:11 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
... "nic-nic-nic" and your head spins around twice, and your eyeballs 5-6 times ... you smack your lips and say .. smooth ain't it -

Michael, you forgot to pound the side of your fist on the table 3 times *BANG, BANG, BANG* and go " AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!"

(VB, these are sounds only men make & understand like, NYUCK, NYUCK, NUCK & Woo-woo-woo-woo-woo. )
Old 03-25-2007, 05:33 PM   #16
Master Chef

LOL - don't we have any Easy Rider fans here???

It's been a few years since I last watched it - but I believe the "nic nic nic" line was either Jack Nicholson or Dennis Hopper trying to speak after a good slug of "shine" ...

If you grew up on it you can say, "smooth, ain't it?" If it's your first experience, then "nic nic nic" is about all you can utter, for a few minutes. Of course - smacking yourself "upside da head", or beating your fist on the table, in an attempt to regain speech, and the ability to breath, is a common phenomenon.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:49 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Have you tried Elijah Craig Bourbon? It has a slight
smoky flavor, quite nice. I'm not a Bourbon person
generally but I like this.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:18 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Bandonjan...

Elijah Craig is credited with the invention of bourbon whiskey in 1789 or so in Gerogetown, Kentucky. He was the first to age corn whiskey in new charred oak barrels which is one of the decisive steps in turning "moonhine" into bourbon whiskey. Some people find it amusing to know that Craig was a Baptist Minister. There are some people who credit Evan Williams with the invention as well. My vote goes to Elijah Craig.

Elijah Craig 12 and Elijah Craig 18 are both very nice Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey. I would recommend both!

Enjoy..

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 01:03 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Thanks for the info Uncle Bob. I have the 12 year and
everyone who tries it says they like it. It is interesting
to know the history of things!
Old 04-15-2007, 02:44 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Lou and I just finished a bottle of Woodford Reserve last night. Magnificently smooth and warm, with a lingering finish.

Anyone else try it??