Does Anybody Collect Bourbon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Uncle Bob

Chef Extraordinaire
Created for the disscussion of Kentucky "Corn Squeezin's" AKA Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey...

Currently I have 15 or so(open) bourbons in my "collection" Some I like...Some I love...Some I LOVE.

Uncle Bob - have you ever toured the distilleries located in Bourbon County KY? (many are in the vicinity of Bardstown KY). We did a long w/end down there last summer and we hit up Makers Mark, the Jim Beam distillery and also Heaven Hill, maker of 17 or so brands. Anywoo, they had some OLD bourbons there for display and sale.

I dipped my own bottle of Makers Mark in the red wax and they signed and dated it for me. You might enjoy the trip if you get up to Kentucky.

Miss Toots.....

No. I have not. However; I have had it on my mind lately. There is a Kentucky Bourbon Festival held each September in Bardstown Ky. Also, there is a Kentucky Bourbon Trail where one may tour several distilleries. I know people who have made these tours etc. They report a great time, wonderful scenery, and great hospitality from the people of Kentucky. Not to meniton great tasting Kentucky Bourbons..;)

Thank you for your interest and information.

Warm Wishes..

Uncle Bob

Don't matter where you're squeezin' your corn - if it ain't clear as water and when you take a sip you don't go ... "nic-nic-nic" and your head spins around twice, and your eyeballs 5-6 times ... you smack your lips and say .. smooth ain't it - that ain't corn squeezins!

One should never confuse Bourbon with the real stuff! :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :angel:

:LOL: Excellent point Michael...

I am always amazed at the smoothness of the pure corn squeezins. Then the sudden rush of warmness in the tummy. I have a friend...well nuff said.
There can be found in my house most times a Mason jar that contains this magic "water':ermm: Used for medicinal purposes only you understand:rolleyes:

Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob said:
:LOL: Excellent point Michael...

I am always amazed at the smoothness of the pure corn squeezins. Then the sudden rush of warmness in the tummy. I have a friend...well nuff said.
There can be found in my house most times a Mason jar that contains this magic "water':ermm: Used for medicinal purposes only you understand:rolleyes:

Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob,

You'll have to get Buck to tell you about a character in one of his columns who deals in "pure mountain spring water." Somewhat questionable, to say the least.:LOL::LOL:

Michael in FtW said:
Don't matter where you're squeezin' your corn - if it ain't clear as water and when you take a sip you don't go ... "nic-nic-nic" and your head spins around twice, and your eyeballs 5-6 times ... you smack your lips and say .. smooth ain't it - that ain't corn squeezins!

One should never confuse Bourbon with the real stuff! :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :angel:

I'm quite sure I've never gone 'nic nic nic' in my entire life, or in any previous lives...but now I feel I've missed some major component of the pleasures of southern living.

Someone, do something to make me go 'nic nic nic'. I really must insist.:glare:

Uncle Bob - October would be a wonderful time to do the bourbon trail in Bardstown. Makers Mark is an especially nice facility, very pretty and sits back in the hills, off the beaten path.

The irony with Makers Mark is that it is made in a dry county, so no free samples. You can buy it but not consume it on site. However, all of the other distilleries conclude their tours with bourbon sipping because they are just over the county line.

VeraBlue said:
I'm quite sure I've never gone 'nic nic nic' in my entire life, or in any previous lives...but now I feel I've missed some major component of the pleasures of southern living.

Someone, do something to make me go 'nic nic nic'. I really must insist.:glare:

Miss VeraBlue...

Obviously one cannot enjoy all of the pleasurable components of Southern living without actually being IN the South.Therefore, your request to go 'nic nic nic must remain illusive until such time your ventures may bring you into the South once again. In the interim may I suggest, in rapid succesion three(3) "neat" 2 oz. shots of 100+ proof fine Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey This will not result in the coveted nic nic nic you requested but rather a hic hic hic which I can assure you is(almost) as pleasurable.

Please do enjoy!

It's a deal...

at this time, plans are being laid for the French Quarter jazz fest of April, 2008. I'll nic nic nic then. Till then I'll have to occupy myself with hic hic hic, which, unfortunately, I am very adroit at.:wacko:

I am not in the south now, but have lived not too far from where Michael is (Dallas, then Lewisville, to be exact) at one point, and worked extensively in OK, AR, and TN. And while I did not then, I now COULD make that magical water up here in the north... (Again, here in this horrible city where so many fear to tread. But hey! We're as safe as Iraq accoring to a Michigan congressman! :mrgreen: )

As for the bourbon, yes I do collect it. Not as a collector, but I always seem to be picking up a new one to try. Same with vodka, and tequila, and wine, and beer.... I think I currently have about 7 different bourbons at the house.

John

Edited to add: Should anyone want to ventur up here, let me know and I'll make sure the bar is well stocked (More so than normal)

Last edited:
Nah,
Sorry Uncle Bob. All that I collect are the empty bottles:ROFLMAO:
BTW if you're free this weekend, they're holding a Beer Bourbon and BBQ fest here in Timonium Md.
I think you'd have a great time!
Beer Bourbon & BBQ Festival
Wish I could make it:(

JohnL

Thanks for the invite. Maryland want fit into my schedule this week-end. I checked my calendar and I am previously engaged. :ermm: It sounds however as if it will be a fun event. Something for everybody. Beer, Bourbon, and BBQ, How can you go wrong! Maybe things will change and you can attend. If ya do, be sure to give me a full report on all the sights, smells and taste.

Enjoy...

I am a HUGE Jim Beam fan. I had the luxury of going on their tour and absolutely adored the entire visit.. Not to mention to LOVE that Ol' Bookers gives in a bottle is hard to beat.. Now my bottle of Bookers only comes out on special occasions..

Next time I am in Kentucky (Around April) I am going to Makers Mark..

-Brad

Michael in FtW said:
... "nic-nic-nic" and your head spins around twice, and your eyeballs 5-6 times ... you smack your lips and say .. smooth ain't it -

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Michael, you forgot to pound the side of your fist on the table 3 times *BANG, BANG, BANG* and go " AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!" :LOL:

(VB, these are sounds only men make & understand like, NYUCK, NYUCK, NUCK & Woo-woo-woo-woo-woo.:angel: )

LOL - don't we have any Easy Rider fans here???

It's been a few years since I last watched it - but I believe the "nic nic nic" line was either Jack Nicholson or Dennis Hopper trying to speak after a good slug of "shine" ...

If you grew up on it you can say, "smooth, ain't it?" If it's your first experience, then "nic nic nic" is about all you can utter, for a few minutes. Of course - smacking yourself "upside da head", or beating your fist on the table, in an attempt to regain speech, and the ability to breath, is a common phenomenon. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Bandonjan...

Elijah Craig is credited with the invention of bourbon whiskey in 1789 or so in Gerogetown, Kentucky. He was the first to age corn whiskey in new charred oak barrels which is one of the decisive steps in turning "moonhine" into bourbon whiskey. Some people find it amusing to know that Craig was a Baptist Minister.;) There are some people who credit Evan Williams with the invention as well. My vote goes to Elijah Craig.

Elijah Craig 12 and Elijah Craig 18 are both very nice Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey. I would recommend both!

Enjoy..

Lou and I just finished a bottle of Woodford Reserve last night. Magnificently smooth and warm, with a lingering finish.

Anyone else try it??

Back
Top Bottom