"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 01-14-2007, 11:13 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

i love to drink the scotch.... can't really say i have the will power to collect it.

Old 01-15-2007, 06:51 AM   #12
Executive Chef

current stock of whisky/whiskey

Glenfiddich 15 year single malt whisky
Glenfiddich 12 year single malt whisky
Chivas Regal 12 year blend whisky
Gentleman Jack, Jack Daniels blend whiskey

Old 01-27-2007, 07:09 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to bob_rx2000
Well, working where I do you might be thinking I'd drink the Irish spirits, but ye'd be wrong...

Truth is that while I like a good single malt, for my day by day scotch I find that The Famous Grouse is pretty good. Yes, it is a blend but one you can serve to your friends and still manage to keep a couple of bucks in your pocket.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:26 PM   #14
Head Chef

Wow, just found this thread. Famout Grouse is a great whisky and one of my favorites for usual drinking.

But if I want something special will go for the single malts.

I used to be able to get Laphroig for $8 a bottle, and so as a student cut my teeth on that.

It is a tough dram but now love the stuff.

For those who do not have a single malt palate always recommend Highland Park. To me it is gentle and tasty. And it makes a great gift to those who like whisky but drink the blended.

Am partial to the Islay products (with the exception of Lagavulin, it is not my first choice by any means).

Then Talisker, from Skye, although I cannot find it here in the US.

Have a bottle of Edrador which I have not cracked. It is the smallest distillery in Scotland (was there and believe me it is) and it is a lovely whisky.

Am a member of the US Scotch Whisky Society and they have indiividual bottlings that are very good, and very pricey (over $100).

Those I only buy as a birthday present to myself. As unique bottlings they are whiskies you will never have a chance to try again.

Like wines, but when the snow is on the ground and the lakes are frozen, nothing does as well as a wee dram of a single malt. At least that is my humble opinion.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:20 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to bob_rx2000
Hmmm... Here in South Bend, IN we have a (very good) liquor vendor who carries Taliskar, although I must admit I've not tried it. It is also on the bar menu for at least 3 local eating establishments.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:55 AM   #16
Executive Chef

I'm glad this thread got bumped up! I have been wanting to try scotch for a while now. I tried it years and years ago and didnt like it. My alcohol taste buds have changed though and I'm ready to give it another whirl!!!

I found a cool blog here The Scotch Blog that Ive been reading through. I guess my best bet is to hit up a nice pub here and try some out. I just dont want to try anything, I dont want a bad experience to chase me away again!
Old 01-28-2007, 01:48 PM   #17
Head Chef

Kitty, there are good and bad whiskies, just as there are good and bad wines.

In addition, tastes do vary.

Would recommend Highland Park for a starter.

It is a very gentle whisky and have received nothing but raves from the folks I have given a bottle.

I truly enjoy it but generally reach for the ones that I consider a bit more robust in flavor. But then again I have been in the whisky ingesting business for a long time.

Would suggest whichever whisky you decide to try to do it both neat and with a bit of water (room temp or slightly chilled). Just a tad. The water will release flavors you might not notice when drinking it straight.

Give one a shot, you may find them as pleasant as I do.

But please start with a decent one, not just some random brand you happen to find on sale.

There is as much difference between the very inexpensive blended stuff and the fine single malts as there is between a $1.99 bottle of 'champagne' and a bottle of Louis Roederer Crystal.

Hope you enjoy them as much as I do.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:03 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Thanks for the advice Dot!
Old 01-28-2007, 02:17 PM   #19
Executive Chef

I used to try to drink it but I just can't get past the smell. Then I thought, "Why am I trying so hard to like this?".

I guess I wanted to look sophisticated. But I'm older now ... I still dislike the odor.

LOL, I guess smell and odor are not the correct terms for whiskey lovers. Bouquet? Frangrance?
Old 01-29-2007, 12:26 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Whisky gets the same treatment as other drinks, Jan. The Marketing guys and the connoisseurs get together and decide on an incomprehensible vocabulary designed specifically to increase the price.

With scotch, you may hear the words "Medicinal", "Leather", "Wood", "Dried Fruit", "Smoky", etc. I can assure you, I can detect those in certain malt whiskies. However, you either like it, or you don't. I don't drink vodka because I find it tasteless - my opinion, nothing else.