"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 01-29-2007, 02:04 PM   #21
Senior Cook

I have a couple of very fine bottles of just whiskey, but only one real "great" bottle of Scotch. It's a bottle of Chivas Royal Salute, 50 years old. Well, I guess it's 54 years old now; got it in 2003. I can't bring myself to open it. Apparently it was made in monstrously limited production and is worth in the 5 figure neighborhood.

Old 01-29-2007, 03:01 PM   #22
Executive Chef

very fond of malt whiskey and know many you have in you list. Also like the Islay ones, Laphroig for example, and of the Highland Malts, do you know Highland Park? a fine floral finish!

Old 01-29-2007, 05:57 PM   #23
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to JDP
I love scotch. I have friends who have some nice bottles and one that has a great "collection" of them that we sample from time to time. My favorite would be the Lagavullin 16 yr old. It seems it's one of those things you love or hate. With it's taste being compared to iodine, salt, peaty, smokey, seaweedy and medicinal it's no wonder. I have also had the 50 yr old Crown royal and Johnny Walker Blue. These were great but I would rather get 3 or 4 bottles of Lagavullin the spend the money on 1 bottle of the others.

JDP
Old 01-29-2007, 06:47 PM   #24
Sous Chef

And I would thoroughly agree with you!
Lagavullin has to be one of the most exquisite Islay malts, although I can say that I've tried all the most common ones: Laphroaig 10 yr, 10 yr Cask Strength (59% proof!),15 yrs; Lagavullin 16 yrs; Ardbeg ( can't remember how old, but VERY smoky and peaty and seaweedy!); Bruichladdich, Bunnahaibin, Bowmore 12 and 17 yr (my least favourite - a little too "floral" for my liking), Caol Ila 12 yr - delicious!
I never got to try the 1981 Black Bowmore when I was on the island 6 years ago, because it was priced at $1800. PER SHOT!!!No, I'm not joking - I almost fell off my stool when I saw the price, but the barman assured me there were people who bought the stuff...
Old 01-29-2007, 07:40 PM   #25
Senior Cook

No, but I should, when I did my family "roots" trip in Scotland I learned they came from the area where they make it - The Whiskey Trail. I'm a wine girl myself.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:52 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Ok Scotch lovers, I just had my first glass! I bought 3 small bottles that Sainsburys had to try out. All which are distilled and bottled in Scotland. First one I tried was 12 year single malt Highland. Added just a splash of water and its going down nicely!

My good friend from back home has recommended Balvenie Single Malt Scotch 10 year. Ive been reading around online about scotch all evening!

Next 2 I have to try are 10 year Islay Malt and 12 year Single Speyside Malt.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:42 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

I used to drink Scotch exclusively...Now it's only Kentucky Straight Bourbon!
I still have a couple of bottles of Scotch..not the "top shelf" stuff..A couple of blends. I like it for a change somtimes

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 03:06 PM   #28
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by redkitty
Ok Scotch lovers, I just had my first glass! I bought 3 small bottles that Sainsburys had to try out. All which are distilled and bottled in Scotland. First one I tried was 12 year single malt Highland. Added just a splash of water and its going down nicely!

My good friend from back home has recommended Balvenie Single Malt Scotch 10 year. Ive been reading around online about scotch all evening!

Next 2 I have to try are 10 year Islay Malt and 12 year Single Speyside Malt.
Since I don't know which "highland" malt you've been sipping, I can't really comment. However, the Balvenie malts are beautiful - they have a port wood finish, a sherry finish, etc. and they're all delicious!
The Islay malt ( again, I don't know exactly which one it is) should be smoky to the palate, with a hint of the sea. It's a small island on the west coast of Scotland, open to the Atlantic.
The Speyside malt must be smooth, clean and malty. Balvenie is a Speyside malt.
Slaínte!
Old 02-25-2007, 04:14 PM   #29
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Lynan
I saw the title of this thread, popped in, and am not at ALL surprised to see our Clive here. Besides hot and spicy stuff, Whiskey ( with an 'e') is his passion.
Anyone noticed that at all??? lolol
Well, I just wanted to say that I cant ask for any info from Clive or any other expert here. Sad to say, I had an unfortunate experience with whiskey maaaaaany years ago and still suffer. Even a liqueur like Drambuie is untouchable. And fruitcake soaked in the stuff. Hair of the dog is not applicable in my case, Im a lost cause!!

Just as well I love brandy and cognac.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:24 PM   #30
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynan
I saw the title of this thread, popped in, and am not at ALL surprised to see our Clive here. Besides hot and spicy stuff, Whiskey ( with an 'e') is his passion.
Anyone noticed that at all??? lolol
Well, I just wanted to say that I cant ask for any info from Clive or any other expert here. Sad to say, I had an unfortunate experience with whiskey maaaaaany years ago and still suffer. Even a liqueur like Drambuie is untouchable. And fruitcake soaked in the stuff. Hair of the dog is not applicable in my case, Im a lost cause!!

Just as well I love brandy and cognac.
Nah, Lyn - Whiskey (with an 'e') is Irish, or American. Whisky is Scotch. No belittling either of the three! Try an Old Bushmills or a Jamesons and you'll soon discover the delicious smoothness the Irish distilleries add. I'm not sure, but I have a feeling that Irish whiskey is distilled 3 times rather than 2.
I can't give you any feedback on American Whiskey, since I've never really tried it.
Bourbon? Now that sounds French to me. What's the difference?

Hot stuff? Gimme a fresh chile pepper and I'm a happy man!!