"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 07-12-2006, 08:03 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Does Anybody Collect Scotch?

Man, I love the stuff. Here's what I have in my collection. Please post your's and your comments on them too!!

Glenmorangie Port Wood Finish-This is probably my least favorite in my collection. It's good but there's just too much wine flavour in it.

Macallan 12 Year-Beautiful! Finished in sherry casks and adds just a touch of sweetness to a superb single malt.

Springbank 10 Year-Lovely! It's nearly empty. Very dry and smokey flavour. Luscious!!!

Glenfarclas 12 Year-Very nice. Somewhat dry. A very ordinary everyday type of Scotch.

Balvenie Double Wood 12 Year-Another wonderful sherry finished malt. Somewhat sweet and a perfect day ender!

Oban 14 Year-Wonderfully dry!! Lots of peat flavour and a hint of smoke. Not your everyday type of malt, but such a treat!

Aberlour 15 Year-The best bottle in my humble collection! Somewhat sweet being finished in sherry casks, but the malt itself is sweet too. I drink this sparingly because I don't want to run out!!

I also have a bottle of Black Bush which is a good blended Irish whiskey, but really nothing compared to a good single malt.

I wish there were more mini bottles available, because really I want to try them all, but I can't afford fifty bucks everytime I want to try a new Scotch!

sydfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:47 AM   #2
Executive Chef

My husband is the whisky drinker in the household - and we have visited many distilleries over the course of our long marriage. My daughter's partner is also a whisky lover, as was my father.

Husband's favourites are a couple of the Bowmore whiskies, Strathisla and Highland Park. He also occasionally drinks Glenormorangie, the MacAllan and Balvenie.

Pleeeease - don't call them Scotch.... I don't mind Scotch whisky, though

Old 07-12-2006, 10:55 AM   #3
Head Chef

Collect would be the wrong word. Drink a bottle till it's gone and then buy another one is closer to the truth. I have to say we drink them slowly.

In our household at the moment we have two bottles of VAT 69, only a blend but not bad and extremely cheap in Spain (virtually no duty on alcohol here) at under €7 a bottle. One of these bottles dates back to the days of Franco, which I bought as a curiosity. Tastes a bit rough if the truth be told...

My favourite whisky is Lagavullin. I used to like the 8-year-old Isle of Jura whisky that you could get here but now it all seems to be 10-year-old and not quite as good, or so my palate says! I haven't tried that many whiskies: they'd be an expensive habit to steer clear of in my case.

When I was a student living in very cheap accommodation, I once splashed out and bought a bottle of Springbank for my Dad's birthday. I was horrified the next day to see that it had gone cloudy. But that's cheap accommodation for you - very cold. The whisky cleared when it got a bit warmer.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:13 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Laphroaig, 10 yr old, cask strength. The only thing which could console me after England lost to Portugal.
Caol Ila. Ahhhh that smoky taste of peat.
Lagavullin.
Cardhu.
Aberlour - what a delightful tipple that is.
Balvenie.
Glenmorangie.

Plus I've got some nice blended stuff - Swing, 18 yr old Chivas Regal, 12 yr old Buchanans, and my simple, not-even-slightly-complicated favourite - Ballantynes.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:56 PM   #5
Head Chef

We have a few bottles put away for a rainy day, but nothing exceptional, just the usual product of the distilleries.

Are members of the Scotch Malt Whisky Society, but find their bottlings very dear and generally beyond our reach.

Do have a bottle of Edrador purchased at the distillery a couple of years ago.

Love the Islay whiskies (went there last year, wow), and adore Talisker.

Wish we could afford more from the independent bottlers, but they can be very pricey.

Glad to see whiskies discussed here, love the single malts.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:58 PM   #6
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Collect and Liquior don't exist in my house....I collect it internally.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:45 PM   #7
Head Chef

I collect beer, wine, bourbon, vodka (hey, I'm Polish - it's like a national drink!), but not so much scotch. I've been to several high end tastings and I am slowly picking up a taste for scoth, as well.

John

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 11:01 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
Try Highland Park -- most northerly distillery in Scotland. Don't be fooled by the name, this ain't something you're going to find at the local discount drug store. Beautiful stuff, like Macallan's on steroids.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:48 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryBoy
Try Highland Park -- most northerly distillery in Scotland. Don't be fooled by the name, this ain't something you're going to find at the local discount drug store. Beautiful stuff, like Macallan's on steroids.
My wife bought me a bottle of 25 Year Old Highland Park and I must say it is absolutely the best malt I've ever tried! Lovely!!!

Old 01-13-2007, 07:51 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop Puss
Collect would be the wrong word. Drink a bottle till it's gone and then buy another one is closer to the truth. I have to say we drink them slowly.

In our household at the moment we have two bottles of VAT 69, only a blend but not bad and extremely cheap in Spain (virtually no duty on alcohol here) at under 7 a bottle. One of these bottles dates back to the days of Franco, which I bought as a curiosity. Tastes a bit rough if the truth be told...

My favourite whisky is Lagavullin. I used to like the 8-year-old Isle of Jura whisky that you could get here but now it all seems to be 10-year-old and not quite as good, or so my palate says! I haven't tried that many whiskies: they'd be an expensive habit to steer clear of in my case.

When I was a student living in very cheap accommodation, I once splashed out and bought a bottle of Springbank for my Dad's birthday. I was horrified the next day to see that it had gone cloudy. But that's cheap accommodation for you - very cold. The whisky cleared when it got a bit warmer.
It got cloudy because it's non-chill filtered, which many Scotch purists prefer!