Drink Horror Stories - Midori

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saphellae

Head Chef
So we had friends over last night and they bring us a bottle of Midori melon liquor. I have never seen it before and I am always one to take up a mixing challenge, so I bring it to the kitchen and try and mix this with something. I wanted to mix it with vodka and OJ but I didn't have any vodka (my bad :().

I can't remember exactly what I put in it, but it turned into this creamy light green drink that was super sweet. I won't be making it again, but it wasn't bad so we drank it.

I think I put this:

Vanilla Ice Cream
A splash of pina colada liquid mix
2 bananas

Yeah, don't make that. It needed OJ because it was so sweet, but with the ice cream I couldn't put any in. Ewww.

Does anyone else have any drink horror stories?

I'm old enough to remember when Midori first hit the shelves & cocktails were being invented all over the place to promote it.

Frankly, the only way I've ever enjoyably used it is as a splash over a mixed melon fruit salad.

Midori is so sweet you really need to mix it with something not sweet.

It works OK with ginger ale, sweet and sour mix, etc. Not one of my favorites

One of my favorite drinks. One shot Midori, one shot sweet and sour, one shot OJ, one tablespoon cherry juice, one cherry.
I have done other variations like adding pineapple juice or mango mix as well. You just have to make sure that you are adding in equal parts sour to any parts sweet, minimum.

Another drink with Midori is similar to a Pina-Colada, one of my favourites as I absolutely LOVE Malibu. Its one part Midori,one part Malibu and top up with Pineapple juice, or as Maverick said, you can use Mango juice, its Delish!!!. Make it all over crushed ice. Im not sure whats in a Pina-Colada, but I think this is close, I have also used Blue Curacao, instead of the Midori, but I think Midori works better, WACCY Colour combo's though.

I have banana malibu rum and passion fruit malibu rum. I bet they both would taste awesome with some pineapple/ mango juice. I also have pear juice, I wonder how that would taste.

I agree with you there, the color just keeps getting stranger the more you mix into the Midori lol

I have banana malibu rum and passion fruit malibu rum. I bet they both would taste awesome with some pineapple/ mango juice. I also have pear juice, I wonder how that would taste.

I agree with you there, the color just keeps getting stranger the more you mix into the Midori lol
:)I have never heard of nor have I tried Banana or passionfruit Malibu, WOW certainly sounds different, I wish we had it here, I have only bought and tried the Coconut Malibu Rum, thats why I love Pina-Colada so much, I wonder where I could get the others you mentioned here where I live, I will have to suss it out at the local. Do you still taste the Coconut in the Malibu or is it just the Banana and Passionfruit taste, I would really love to try that, Thanks for the info, Is the colour still clear, like in the coconut, or is it a more yellow or orange colour???:cool:

SpiritWolf, I don't think we can get most of those drinks here yet. Flavoured vodkas are about our limit. Maybe one day!!

I don't mind an Illusion from time to time. It was one of those cocktails that came out when Midori first hit and every bar would have a Midori shaker.

My ex used to really enjoy midori and lemonade but he had a really sweet tooth.

Apparently one year in Cairo someone served some red wine enhanced by cloves---the flavor and reactions were so swift and universal that it became a joke to "gift" someone with a similar bottle and this same bottle was passed around much like an American fruit cake for many, many years. It became a priviledge (sp?) to be gifted with the bottle. I will take the original newbies' assertions that it was worse than listerine after several drinks.

There are three of the Malibu flavors.. Banana, Passion Fruit, and Mango as well as the regular Malibu. They are delish and are great for making fun drinks. I haven't found Banana in Quebec so far as I know from my experience it's only available in Ontario (could be in the US too, but I don't know).

I'll have to look up an Illusion.

Red wine and cloves? Blech!!

We have the original and banana, I have not seen the passion fruit or mango yet, but DW would go nuts over the mango!

Yes Bilby, The Illusion, I love them and the Splice, thats got Midori,Pineapple juice and Malibu in it, I buy them from time to time at our local Bottle shop.
I was first introduced to Midori with lemonade as well, I love it, but as you said, very sweet.:wacko:

Back
Top Bottom