Duping the Baileys??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

urmaniac13

Executive Chef
Here is another long standing mystery in our kitchen... what would be the best way to reproduce the authentic flavour of Baileys Irish Creme? We have tried it several times they weren't awful but there was always something missing... we have scoured the internet for a valid recipes, but so many of them contain one or more seemingly irrelevant ingredients (which are nowhere to be seen on the ingredient listing on the Baileys label), like chocolate syrup, vanilla extract, eggs, almond extract etc, etc... I am sure they would taste great with these items in their own rights, but we are rather being stubborn in trying to find that authentic taste... does anyone have any suggestions??

TIA, Licia:chef:

Use the real thing.

In a discussion (alas, now long disappeared) on another cooking forum we discussed this at length. Several of us had tried to copy Baileys, but no one got it quite right. One person even made some cost calculations and the outcome - taking into consideration the cost of ingredients, the work that went into it and all the failed attempts that went straight down the drain - was that it was actually cheaper to just buy a bottle of Baileys.

BTW, have you tried Carolans Irish Cream? Much smoother than Baileys in my opinion. Sheridans (coffe cream) and Amarula (marula fruit cream) are also delicious.

Try adding brown sugar to the mix, if you think that might be too sweet(I do, hubby doesn't), then just add a small amount of molasses, blackstrap is best but any will suffice.

CrémeBrulée said:
Use the real thing.

In a discussion (alas, now long disappeared) on another cooking forum we discussed this at length. Several of us had tried to copy Baileys, but no one got it quite right. One person even made some cost calculations and the outcome - taking into consideration the cost of ingredients, the work that went into it and all the failed attempts that went straight down the drain - was that it was actually cheaper to just buy a bottle of Baileys.

BTW, have you tried Carolans Irish Cream? Much smoother than Baileys in my opinion. Sheridans (coffe cream) and Amarula (marula fruit cream) are also delicious.

So there is a reason I can never seem to find a satisfying recipe...
Sheridans, if I remember correctly, is the one with the cream and the whisky bottled in the separate compartment, isn't it? That was delicious, yes, even better than Baileys!!:-p

urmaniac13 said:
Sheridans, if I remember correctly, is the one with the cream and the whisky bottled in the separate compartment, isn't it? That was delicious, yes, even better than Baileys!!:-p

Yep, thats the one. Chocolate and coffee flavour in the dark one, and vanilla cream in the other. I have all but stopped drinking Baileys after discovering Sheridans.

shannon in KS said:
www.miss-charming.com has MANY recipes for homemade liquor. Cool site I found last night!
That's a neat site Shannon, thanks for sharing it with us! I don't actually drink myself so I was both surprised and pleased to see a "virgin" recipe section with non-alcoholic drinks in it (very cool!) :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom