Egg-Nog recipes Anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanx for the recipe source Anitabsk0254!!! That recipe calls for holding the egg mixture at 140 degrees for three minutes, isn't that called pasteurization? LOL! Hey Kithenelf, did you make your egg-nog? If so, how was it? Any comments? I'd love to know! MERRY CHRISTMAS to all!!! Atomic Jed said!

I did make it - it was really good - a little too much cinnamon and vanilla for me and I never did get around to have the "kick" added to it :cry:

But it was good. I am used to a fluffier-type eggnog but this was really good.

Thanx for sharing you experience on this recipe Kithenelf! Vanilla, and cinnamon are Powerful Allies that demand respect! EZ does it yeah? Did you whip the eggs to frothiness? Perhaps, incorporating more air into the eggs will provide you with the"frothiness" you desire. (you means your) (about the top) (OOPS! the sometimes dead in the head Atomic Jed said!) Laughing at myself first!!! Now everyone smile and do-si do! LOL!!! Peace all!!!

LOL - next time I'll make this recipe myself and see what happens. I was busy doing other stuff and there were several steps left out or done too soon.

over 20 years ago, I went on a personal quest for finding home made eggnog. not much enjoying the store bought kind, I just really thought there had to be something about the real stuff that has made the holiday drink so popular.
I did find it.
Anyone else have home made tried and true proven yummy recipes for their own eggnog?
If so, care to share?

Here's mom's recipe. Serves 20.

6 eggs, separated
1 cup sugar
1-1/2 cups bourbon
1/2 cup dark rum
1-1/2 qts milk
2 cups whipping cream
nutmeg

Beat egg yolks until thick and light. Gradually beat in sugar. Continue beating, slowly adding bourbon and rum. Chill about an hour, stir occasionally.

Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Whip cream. Gradually stir milk into bourbon mixture; fold in egg whites and whipped cream.

Store in covered jars for at least 24 hours before serving.

Stir nog in punch bowl while serving; otherwise some servings will have too much fluff and others not enough. Sprinkle each serving with nutmeg.

mudbug, I would love your mom's concoction.
sounds so rich and creamy to me.
my recipe is similar but contains 1/2 and 1/2 instead of milk and = parts of bourbon, rum and brandy. it's a kick you in your teeth type drink that really warms the cockles of your heart. a pinch of salt and vanilla too, is in mine.

I'm with you, lefse! This is almost exactly my family's eggnog recipe, too.

Today, I make a custard with the eggs and milk and spices, the fold in whipped egg whites at the end. (But I'll only use eggs that I get from a reliable home farm...)

Rich, knock your socks off Eggnog!

Back
Top Bottom