Ever Had Absinthe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef_Jimmy

Senior Cook
Just curious if anyone has ever had absinthe? It is illegal in the U.S. but you can order it online and i think i'm going to get some. There was a controversy over it because of the wormwood that it was made with caused halucinations and "brain corrosion"

I have not had it, but a friend of mine tried it. He said he did not halucinate, but it was the drunkest he had ever been.

I really want to try it. The type that is made now doesn't have either any, or as much wormwood. That is what was supposed to cause halucinations. I have a recipe for an absinthe cocktail like they use to drink.

I believe, depending on where you get it, you can still find it with a decent amount of wormwood. I know when he bought his bottle that was one thing he looked at.

Yes.

We brought a bottle back from France (the real thing) a few years back for a friend. He opened it and I had a drink with him. I recall it being very strong. I liked the taste (I like things like Chartreuse and Italian amari).

I didn't hallucinate but recall a feeling different from intoxication via beer or vodka or something. A "weird" feeling. Not at all unpleasant. But certainly not enough to make me want to buy it ($$$$) and drink it again.

I had it once, in Prague. (One of the few places that is not illegal to buy/sell the product). The taste itself was not unpleasant, I didn't particularly "halucinate" either but the effect of intoxication kicked in quite quick and with some force, and I remember seeing certain things in double. If you enjoy this type of "particular" experience (like you may do in... say, Amsterdam...) you may like it. Me, no thanks...

Years ago I was seeing a guy whose style reminded me a lot of the 19th century absinthe drinkers, so it was no surprise that he had a bottle. A tiny sip with water and a sugar cube was all I had (never enjoyed feeling any sense of intoxication from alcohol, personally). It's really quite something else, a tad like various other bitters, but somehow it felt like it had a deeper, more complex taste and the flavour of anise stood out to me.

For those interested in Absinthe, this site is quite interesting (plus I love the look of the site): La Fee Verte

Hey, it may make you cut off your ear. No, but it was a fad when we were travelling through New Mexico. We passed on it. My legal vices are fine enough for me!

Michelemarie said:
I never heard of it - probably a good thing:wacko: .

Same here, I have never heard of absinthe, or of its attributes. This posting has caused me some concern.........because...........I raise wormwood, have raised it for about 25 years. Of course this sent me scrambling to my herbal books. None of my herbals mention anything 'out of the ordinary" concerning this plant, although it does list its common name as absinthe. Absinthe just has never meant anything to me. I raise it for my goats to eat, it is a natural vermifuge. The vermifuge effects are realized by feeding the plant after it has flowered. I swear I have never seen my goats do anything unusual after eating wormwood, but I will sure keep my eye on them in the future:wacko:

I've drunk it a few times. Have never noticed any adverse or odd effects, though. Mind you, I can't say it would ever be my drink of choice, any more than ouzo would - but I wouldn't refuse a glass if it was offered :)

bethzaring said:
Same here, I have never heard of absinthe, or of its attributes. This posting has caused me some concern.........because...........I raise wormwood, have raised it for about 25 years. Of course this sent me scrambling to my herbal books. None of my herbals mention anything 'out of the ordinary" concerning this plant, although it does list its common name as absinthe. Absinthe just has never meant anything to me. I raise it for my goats to eat, it is a natural vermifuge. The vermifuge effects are realized by feeding the plant after it has flowered. I swear I have never seen my goats do anything unusual after eating wormwood, but I will sure keep my eye on them in the future:wacko:
From what I've read it's not simply the wormwood that can bring about "interesting experiences" amongst Absinthe drinkers, but a combination of wormwood and the plethora of other herbals and plants that go into the mix. I'd venture to say that your goats will be completely fine :)

dancing with the green fairy

Yes, I have a bottle of absinthe spirited from Hungary several years ago. It's got a very dark flavour, rather like licorice, a bit. I have an absinthe spoon used for proper presentation of the drink, with sugar, water and fire.. It's also a key component of one of my favourite drinks, the Sazerac. For that drink, you swirl the absinthe in the glass, just to coat it, then you add bourbon, peychaud bitters and ice. Have a couple of those and you'll surely see the green fairy.

I am no stranger to the green fairy. Whilst living in Holland we consumed more then rational quantities of the stuff. Bitter, nasty, freatness. Be sure to melt suger cubes into it...AND BE CAREFULL!

There is a new beverage called Four. A few friends drank it...a malt beverage that is part energy drink, with a little Absinthe in it. They were mixing it with vodka.

Absinthe is only prohibited in the united states. Not necassarily illegal. Lets say you order it from an overseas website then you have the risk of it getting confiscated from customs. Only thing that will happen is you will lose your money. Now if the company you order it from will pack it properly it should get past customs. But once you have it, your fine. Lets say the police raid your house for some odd reason and they find a bottle, you won't get in trouble.

I haven't personally tried it, but want to. What brought Absinthe to my attention was Johnny Depp. In a interview he did a while back, someone had ask him about his drug use. He told them that he used to smoke opium and did a little bit of cocaine here and there but those were to dangerous. He said he did however fall in love with Absinthe. He liked it a lot, but was afraid he would cut off his ear like Van Gogh.

From what I understand there is a lot of Absinthe knock off's on the market. You have to really know what your doing to get the "ClassiC" stuff. I have seen a lot of bottles sell for $59-$75 but that is knock-offs. If you want the real thing your going to pay around $250+ for it. There of course there are still some bottles from the old days going around but your looking at a couple of thousand for those.

I would order some myself, but I would hate to pay 250 something dollars and risk getting it seized by customs. I do however want to try it extremely bad. Lot's of famous people have been inspired by Absinthe. Van Gogh, Picasso, Edgar Allan Poe, and Oscar Wilde. Oscar Wilde was one inspired by Johnny Depp. Depp actually slept in the motel room where Wilde died. Back in the day Oscar wrote in his diary what one of his experiences was while drinking Absinthe:

"One night I was left sitting, drinking alone, and very late in the Café Royal, and I had just got into the third stage when a waiter came in with a green apron began to pile the chairs on the tables.
'Time to go, sir,' he called to me. Then he brought in a watering can and began to water the floor.'Time´s up, sir. I am afraid you must go now,sir.'
" 'Waiter, are you watering the flowers ?' I asked but he didn´t answer. " 'What are your favourite flowers, waiter ?' I asked again. 'Now, sir, I must really ask you to go now, time´s up,' he said fairmly. 'I´am sure that tulips are your favourite flowers,'I said, and as I got up and passed out into the streets I felt-the-heavy-tulip-heads-brushing against my shins."

Yes, I did.

I'm from Brazil and some years ago, it was not illegal anymore to drink Absynthe, as long as the formula was approved. I've had it a couple of times, but always as part of a drink. I think it's too strong to be drank by itself, but it's great if you mix some of it with champagne (this drink was called Hemingway in the bar I used to go).

Back
Top Bottom