"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 08-18-2014, 01:23 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Winter Lager is my favorite with Boston Lager as my 'go to' beer. In the early years it was a crap shoot whether or not you could find Sam Adams in a bar or market. Not so much anymore. It's fairly wide spread.

It must be getting much more popular. I can get it in a town of 8,000 near here in Eastern Ontario. Here in the village of 1,000 where I live, I had my local beer store bring it in. He ordered it for me and has six packs on hand.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:28 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Favorite Beer?

I don't usually care for beer, but the IPA we had on Kauai was delicious. And fresh tasting Heiniken in Dutch St. Maarten, there's just no comparison to the stuff we get in the States, which tastes skunky to me.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:29 PM   #23
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
It must be getting much more popular. I can get it in a town of 8,000 near here in Eastern Ontario. Here in the village of 1,000 where I live, I had my local beer store bring it in. He ordered it for me and has six packs on hand.
Yeah, according to the TV ad shown locally, they produce over 60 different beers.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:53 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cara View Post
not my beer...

I like the czech beers, real Budweiser, Gambrinus or Pilsener Urquell.. or a cold Hasseroeder...
I have a soft spot in my heart for Spaten. After hitchiking from Italy to Munich back in the 80's, the first thing I did was go into a bar and Spaten was the first beer I drank in Germany while staying there for a few weeks. I had a few that day, as I recall. I still remeber the taste and whenever I have one it takes me back.
If you have ever tried most mega brewery beers from North America, you will understand.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:40 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I don't usually care for beer, but the IPA we had on Kauai was delicious. And fresh tasting Heiniken in Dutch St. Maarten, there's just no comparison to the stuff we get in the States, which tastes skunky to me.
Try having a glass or two or three..... sitting at a bar in Amsterdam. For beer brewed here in the US, I prefer Abita Brewing Co. products.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:23 PM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
...I saw Ginger Beer at the mega-mart the other day,
almost bought it just to try.
K-girl, if you like ginger ale but think it could use more ginger flavor, ginger beer is for you. It's non-alcoholic, just like ginger ale...unless there IS a hard version I don't know about. After all, they've turned apple cider into hard cider beer, so it could be.

If you do get the "soda pop" kind of ginger beer, it is really good served up with a shot of dark rum and a squirt of lime. A "Dark and Stormy". Just right when sitting on a beach or deck.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:32 PM   #27
Master Chef

I have a glass A&W mug. Year's ago I used to drink Dad's root beer from it. I don't recall seeing Dad's around here, so I just looked. Hmm, seems the local K-Marts sell it. Since I'm rarely at K-Mart there's no wonder. I might be making a trip to one soon...

Chief, I don't know how averse you are to ingesting any "diet" product, but if you want to live dangerously you could always make a root beer float using both diet root beer and no sugar added ice cream. Once a summer we go that route, and if you find quality products (we use Edy's ice cream and IBC root beer) you can't tell the difference. Himself is diabetic and drinks diet pop (yuck). I'm not diabetic but there is a history in my family. I don't drink any pop, but when I have the annual float even I can't tell those products are "diet" because their flavors and textures are so good.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:38 PM   #28
Master Chef

For beer beer, I like Great Lakes Brewing Company. Just like the OP, I'm really fond of the Christmas Ale. Unfortunately, GLBC is unable to secure a distributor in the New England Market. I get my fix (and stock up on a couple cases of 12s) when we visit the progeny back in OH.

We have a number of mini-micro breweries around here. We've been buying beer from them in growler bottles on occasion that are rather tasty. The one that is closest is in the process of moving from their old, tiny, first place to a bigger one the other end of town. Right now is a down time, so we bought a 12-pack of Smithwick's. Himself used to really like Bass Ale. About six years ago he complained that his taster was failing him because Bass didn't taste the same. A bit of googling around on my part and I found out the problem wasn't with his taste buds, but rather the formula was modified when they started brewing the beer stateside. We haven't seen import Bass around here since, so we get the equally fine (I think it's better) Smithwick's. Bass was always too light for this lady who orders Guinness when we're out and the pub has it on tap. Himself says Guinness is the only beer he's tried that you can chew.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:53 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I grew up with these guys, a sentimental favorite!

Shultz and Dooley!

Oh, brew me no brew with artificial bubbles, those carbonated beers of today. Cuz Utica Club will still take the trouble, to age beer the natural way. Utica Club, UC!
Old 08-18-2014, 04:01 PM   #30
Executive Chef

My current favorites are, in no discernible order, Stella Artois when I want a European lager, Anchor Steam when I want a tasteful craft beer, and Anchor Porter if I want something dark and heavy.

Tags
beer