"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 11-28-2004, 06:10 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I'm not much of a whisky drinker (Scottish celebrations, like Burns' Suppers and St Andrews Night nothwithstanding!) But my husband IS... his favourites are Bowmore (2 or 3 different ones) an Islay malt and Highland Park from Orkney. I quite like GlenKinchie and The MacAllan. I'm not too keen on cheap, blended whiskies like Bells, or Whyte and MacKays and don't like Johnny Walker at all - whether black or red label!

Old 11-28-2004, 11:06 PM   #12

No "whiskey" from Scotland is "cheap" in North America!

I once received a bottle of "The MacAllan" as a gift (its hard to find in stores; priced around $100 Cdn$ for a 25 oz bottle...and agree its excellent...

I Lucked into a bottle of Bell's 32 Year Old umpteen years ago, and while I agree with your comment on their "standard" offering, the 32 year old stuff was so fantastic, I couldn't believe it!

Johnny Walker is allegedly made to suit a North American "taste", (or lack thereof!) as opposed those in Scotland...

"Famous Grouse" (as it is marketed here, perhaps just "Grouse" over there?) is formulated to taste exactly the same, each and every time, and the qc people over there seem to have an excellent "tongue" in ensuring the blend is exactly the same...and have a number of friends that swear by it, right down to the "two aspirin before bedtime" after a "night on the "Bird"", and wake up free from any issues...

Lifter

Old 11-29-2004, 03:28 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Whiskey is not Scots - that's Irish or American bourbons!

Our whisky collections are amazing! Another that my husband is keen on is Strathisla. Now that one I find almost undrinkable 8)

Famous Grouse is still famous on its home patch. Another well-respected one is Glenmorangie (pronounced Glen morronjee - emphasis on the 'on', rather than the English pronounciation of Glen moh ranji (emphasis on the moh)...
Old 11-29-2004, 06:52 PM   #14
Executive Chef

How do you make White Russians?
Old 11-29-2004, 07:01 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
My favorite is Skyy.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:56 PM   #16
Executive Chef

SierraCook Sorry I overlooked your recipe. Sounds so good. Another one I have to try. Does it sound like everyone who likes to cook wants to drink too? You are all so educated about different kinds of drinks. I wonder where I have been all my life? Guess it helps to know what drinks goes with right meal. Getting different perspective here. White Russian never did hear of it till now.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:36 PM   #17

Ishbel, I understood that the Scots referred to the Irish Whiskies and Bourbon as "heresies"...was I wrong in this, or was it a different generation speaking?

Lifter
Old 11-30-2004, 12:51 AM   #18
Everymom

Hey Lifter, my Dad left me a bottle of Bell's Royal Reserve, want to share it with me?
Old 11-30-2004, 03:44 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Certainly never heard them referred to as heresies, but we don't think of them as the same as our whisky! 8)
Old 11-30-2004, 07:23 AM   #20
Sous Chef

Vodka is the only hard stuff I drink. Been a fan of it for many years. I only drink it straight.

There was a time I liked Stoli Crystal, but it was quickly replaced by Chopin potato vodka a few years back. Then Chopin was replaced by Belvedere, which was quickly replaced by Grey Goose.

At present, Ciroq is my favorite. The French really know how to make a great vodka.

Mezzaluna, an Italian vodka is good, but not worth the money.

Kettle One and Absolut are not even on my list of drinkable vodkas. There's something about these two vodkas that just doesn't agree with my taste buds and stomach.

There are some obscure Russian vodkas that I really like, but can only get them at the Mandalay Bay's Red Square in Vegas.

I prefer my vodka at around 5 degrees F, straight up. No veggies to ruin the flavor of the vodka.