"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks
Old 12-31-2004, 08:08 AM   #31
Master Chef

i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 06:15 PM   #32
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen
I always heard that vodka was made from potatoes? My brother has told me that even 10 year old kids in Russia drink the stuff. He claims they have very hard life and depend on it. I only care to drink when having company and really don't want to indulge in something that is hard on the kidneys. If it is made from potatoes that should not be too bad. Appreciate your time. Thanks I am returning the Ketel vodka and going to get Ciroc if I can find it or Grey Goose. My knowledge is limited when it comes to the Party Department of the store. They could sell me anything.
Vodka can be made from almost anything, it seems like. Grains and potatoes are the most popular. I believe Grey Goose and Ciroc are both made from grains and Chopin is one of the most popular potato vodka.

Hope you enjoyed your vodka!

Psiguyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 12:04 AM   #33
PsiGuyy, are you a position to try "Polar Ice" Vodka?

Seems you are a bit of a "purist" on the issue,...

Polar Ice is grain alcohol, triple distilled, cut to 40% by volume with honest to God "blue" glacial ice (I understand this is actually "mined" from icebergs adrift up near Labrador)...

"Blue ice", BTW, is frozen sea water that has had, over at least a millenia, all the "salts" leached from it...the Inuit use it as a "clear water" source, as the last time it was "liquid" was at least a thousand years ago, and "Coors" advertising aside, I cannot think of a water source much more "pure"...

"Cool" this in the deep freeze, and serve "straight up", no ice, no "mix", and I can't quite get where "vodka" can be made much better?

Would be glad of any reply, even if it means looking around for a website or vendor, reasonably local to you, that you could give this a "shot"...

Lifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 02:49 PM   #34
Assistant Cook
Wyborowa, Grey Goose, or Chopin
Stupidity killed the cat, curiosity was framed.
DigitalAether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 07:03 PM   #35
Senior Cook
I read that one of the Monopolowa vodkas isn't triple-distilled and is rather sweet. I've had no luck finding it here in Indiana. Anyone else have a vodka that is noticeably sweet out of the bottle?
Ekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 11:57 PM   #36
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to college_cook
I like Absolut, Stoli, Schmirnoff, and Skyy, but honestly, I'm more of a Margarita fan
college_cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 02:17 PM   #37
Assistant Cook
Has anyone tried gray goose and pineapple juice. Easy and good for the summer. It's also good with grapefruit juice, if you like grapefruit juice.
MellieKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 03:49 PM   #38
I'm not really a vodka fan as far as the purists go. But I like Absolut Kurant or Mandarin with my Cosmo's and Absolut Citron in my Kamikaze's. I do like a vanilla or chocolate martini though.
roxygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 04:51 PM   #39
Assistant Cook
Mmmm martinis! I could go for one right now!
MellieKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 07:09 PM   #40
Assistant Cook
Definitely Grey Goose. Try a Raspberry Russian sometime. Vodka, Chambord & Cream.

designerobsessed is offline   Reply With Quote