"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 11-27-2004, 03:02 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Favorite Vodka?

I have been drinking Five O'Clock vodka because I drink a lot of it and it is inexpensive. I just ordered some Russian Potato Vodka for drinking straight on ice.

Old 11-27-2004, 03:26 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

Right now my favorite is Grey Goose, but I can't always afford that. For a less expensive alternative I usually go with Kettle One, but last night I picked up a bottle of 3 Olives. I made bloody Marys last night, so I can't really tell you what I thought of the 3 Olives. Tonight I will drink it straight to see how I like the taste.

Old 11-27-2004, 05:50 PM   #3
Senior Cook

I like absolut :-)

Like to make bloody mary and white russians! Of course, just stright is good too!
Old 11-27-2004, 06:22 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I like Absolut and Stolichnya - but prefer a gin and tonic, made with Bombay Sapphhire gin and a slice of lime 8)
Old 11-27-2004, 10:22 PM   #5
Everymom

Used to like Moskovskaya, but now Stoli is my friend.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:36 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Absolut
I use potato vodka Luksosowa to make vanilla.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:43 PM   #7
Master Chef

Ketel One or Stolichnya

Here is one of my favorite drinks:

White Russian

2 oz. Vodka
1 oz. Coffee liqueur (Kahlua)
1/2 oz. Cream

Pour Vodka and Coffee liqueur over ice into an old fashioned glass. Float cream on top.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 12:22 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Erik
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraCook
Ketel One or Stolichnya

Here is one of my favorite drinks:

White Russian

2 oz. Vodka
1 oz. Coffee liqueur (Kahlua)
1/2 oz. Cream

Pour Vodka and Coffee liqueur over ice into an old fashioned glass. Float cream on top.
My favorite drink!!! I like to personally use Vanilla Vodka...and Fat-Free French Vanilla Liquid Coffee Creamer.

Also...If you add Cola to the White Russian mix...you'll have a Colorado Bulldog!!!
Old 11-28-2004, 01:11 AM   #9

Not the world's biggest vodka fan, but here are a few thoughts...

"Vodka" is distilled grain alcohol, with "water", to give it a 40% or better mix, according to the law of the country its processed in, unless we transfer over to "moonshine" that is illegally distilled (I've "tasted" this, too...make sure you "burn the cork" to get blue flame instead of yellow, or it may be "deadly")

Anyways, if you have a pot of 100% "pure" alcohol, you can make vodka by diluting it to 40% strength, which is pretty much what the distilleries do, using water...

So the "premium" you are paying for is the water...be this "tap water" out of Saskatoon Saskatchewan, the "Natural Springs" of Guelph Ontario, the ecoli infected waters of Walkerton Ontario, the primeval "ice" of the glaciers off Newfoundland, or the "everyone from Thunder Bay, through Chicago and Detroit, but not yet Buffalo has pissed into this" offering of Lake Erie...(okay, all right already! the alcohol is sterilising it!)(just note the "flavour")

Very few of us drink vodka "straight" without ice...and being non-smokers with a clear palate...so as to give a rendition of what a "brand" tastes like...

And after two, if not three, drinks, your tongue is pretty much gone to bed for the night on terms of "taste", so you'd have to pick up on this with both a "clear palate" (sp?) (likewise with the really "good" scotches, the Irish "Heresies", the "designer" rums...

Like unto vodka, Gin is a "chemical formula"...its an alcohol infused with juniper berries or something, made today, bottled tomorrow and sold the next day...

So the "form" of the "bottle" may have a lot to do with the price of the final offering, as the fancy shaped bottle is amongst the distiller's costs,...before the government begins taxing it...

"aged" brandy, rye, Scotch, Rum, or even, God forgive me! "bourbon" loses mass and volume and locks down the "investment" in a given yar's production, and tastes "different" according to its age...

"CC", aka "Canadian Club" tastes like it is... a 5 year old. "aged" in a steel can, but with the world's most expensive marketing...Glenn Fiddich may be the best selling Scotch, but by no means is the best tasting...Johnnie Walker might cater to NA taste, but "sucks" when compared to really good Scots whiskies...and some tried and "aged" rums, say 8 years or older, give both "value" and "taste"..

Though if you mix ANY of them with "Coke", you lose my "vote" to have an "opinion" (LOL, of course not,. we all do these things our own way!)

Anyways, I'm getting off topic here, but "vodka's" can be confused in any number of ways...

"Absolut" would indeed be the "best brand", along with "Polar Ice", if you can find it outside of Canada, and "Smirnoff's" would be the biggest rip off, as they charge the buyer for the brand recognition thing, and their BIG advertising...(much like Cdn Club!)...

Lifter
Old 11-28-2004, 09:37 AM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

OK I tried the 3 Olives straight last night (from the freezer) and was very disappointed. I couldn't drink it. I had to add some olive brine to make it palatable. I think I will stick to Grey Goose and Ketal One. If I am mixing it with something then I would use 3 Olives or Absolute or just about any of the other vodkas, but for drinking straight or in a vodka martini, I will continue the above. Oh I forgot about Belvedere. I really like that too, but for the same price I would go with Grey Goose.