Favorite wine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luvs

Master Chef
i'm all for valpolicella... affordable but great. i learned about it in wine-tasting class.

white - santa margherita pinot grigio, and chardonnays that have gone thru malo-lactic fermentation (is that said properly, ronjohn?)

red - too many to mention, but i've been drinking a lot of aussie shiraz, california merlot and cheap burgundy. the latter is mostly used for cooking, and pickling the chef.

AH Sierra Cook someone else with my allergy!!!!! What do sulphites do to you? They give me asthma and make my skin red and puffy, it's a very fast, dramatic action.

I love Aussie chardonnay, but I have to choose carefully, Ninth Island is my absolute favourite, from Tasmania (like me!!!!) I also love sweet dessert wine, Brown Brothers Orange Flower and Muscat (something like that, there's a bottle on the counter, but I'm not moving from my chair) is my fave in that line.

Not sure I have one that I like the best. Depends on my mood :) But having said that I prefer red to white and you can't beat a good Rioja ;)

Okay, I'm totally freaked out!
I thought I was the only one with sulfite allergies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My tongue swells & is painful for a full day or two if I have sulfites.
(PS - don't forget to remind your dentist, as they use salt quite often & man does that hurt!)
I'll try the La Rocca - never heard of it, but I will find it!

A couple of white zins I can drink, but have had the least problems with Muscat or Muscatto, which is late harvest, where the grapes stay on the vine too long and develop the "noble rot" (I'm having a "lifter" moment")

As much as Im a fan of the drier whites, brut sparkling wines and acidic reds... I am a fan of consagration wine. Mexican produced "Sangre de cristo" or "christs blood" is an amazing desert wine and provides a great conversation piece, as does "casillero del diablo" (devils locker?) which is another "consagration wine" style red.

In the winter it has to be red. Bardolino is a favorite. Zinfandel for special. We drink the house brand wine otherwise, it is also nice.

Pam

Okagnagan Wines (Canada)

Summerhill - Baco Noir - all time best
Mission Hill - Cabernet Merlot - runner up!

Chateau Elan Summer Wine-muscadine wine with peaches.

I prefer reds to whites....I also prefer Sonoma to Napa wines (Not sure why either)....for reds, a good cabernet, whites...Viognier....

Mark

Chateau St. Michelle anything, but mostly the reds. Whatver they're doing up there is hitting my spot.

Also just rediscovered an old fave that I thought had disappeared from the shelves - Gallo's Hearty Burgundy. I am enjoying a glass right now. GREAT for adding to marinara sauces and other dishes that beg for red wine. Try it with mushrooms sauteed in oil and butter - OMGawd.

Now that I think of it, has anyone seen Paul Masson's Emerald Dry anywhere lately? It's a very nice white that I remember from years ago but never see anymore.

BTW, I have never claimed to be an oenophile.

I actually don't know if I have a favourite. As a New Zealander we are blessed with many fantastic varities and the Australian, especially reds and in particular shiraz/ shyrah are very damm tasty. If forced to choose White would have to be Pinot gris
Red - well aged cabernet

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom