Flavored Rum - Homemade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toots

Head Chef
Anyone ever tried to make homemade flavored rum? I was just in St Martin and I had the Ma DouDou vanilla/cinnamon flavored rum. I didnt have room in the suitcase to bring any back and they do not ship to the US. So now I am kicking myself for not making room......

also, what about hot buttered rum, anyone got a good recipe for that? Tis the season.

Toots said:
Anyone ever tried to make homemade flavored rum? I was just in St Martin and I had the Ma DouDou vanilla/cinnamon flavored rum. I didnt have room in the suitcase to bring any back and they do not ship to the US. So now I am kicking myself for not making room......

also, what about hot buttered rum, anyone got a good recipe for that? Tis the season.

I'd go for it and grab a "HALF" bottle of rum, stick a cinnamon stick in it, and leave it for a month. Then try it. Same thing with a vanilla bean.
Hey, we could even make Chipotle Rum; Jalapeño Rum; Habanero Rum!!!

( Or nutmeg Rum.. now there's a thought, hmmm...)

"( Or nutmeg Rum.. now there's a thought, hmmm...)" and use it in these holiday wonderful drinks!!!

DAD'S FAMOUS TOM & JERRYS
Recipe By :a Chef's Journey via "Bud"

12 lg eggs, separated
1 box powdered sugar

Mix 1/2 (6 at a time) and 1/2 whites (6 at a time) separately, each with one quarter of the powdered sugar. Beat the whites till stiff.

Fold the yolks (mixed with the powdered sugar) into the whites; add 1 tsp. vanilla.

Have ready a container with 1/2 rum and 1/2 brandy - however much you think you're going to imbibe.

Put 1 1/2 jiggers of rum/brandy mix in a cup; add 2-3 T. of the egg mixture and fill w/boiling water, stirring to combine. Sprinkle with nutmeg.
Inhale the wonderful aromas, then enjoy!!

Description:
"A New Year's Day never went by without my Dad whipping up batches of these -- we kids just loved to scoop up some of the batter by itself, when we thought he wasn't looking..."

NOTES : These days, you'll have to decide if you want to enjoy raw eggs.

Wouldn't be a holiday without these!

I love hot buttered rum...and mudbug's recipe is as good as any.

I imagine you could flavour rum the same way one flavours vodka...just add what you want to plain, white rum.

You know, you could have left all the dirty underwear behind and then you'd have had room for the rum, and a reason to go shopping as soon as you got home!:LOL:

Couldn't be any easier to make. I like doing silver rum( bacardi or castillio, wich IS bacardi overflow), lime rind, ginger, and some corriander. Put it away in a closet for a while and forget about it.

In Bermuda, in addition to the classic sherry pepper drizzle, we do it with Gosselings rum. Good ol Black Seal rum, hot peppers, cinnamon sticks, a few cloves, set it and forget it. Great drizzle in soups and stews.

My husband drinks Captain Morgan's, and that is some good stuff! Sure is good in a hot toddy...although if you're sick, you need to use whisky.

Connie's Hot toddy
A great cold remedy

To one cup hot tea (I like Constant Comment) add one shot of lemon juice, 1 tablespoon honey, and 1 shot good sipping whisky (Jim Beam) or rum. Stir to dissolve honey and sip.
The honey coats your throat, the lemon juice clears phlegm, and the whisky makes you sweat out the fever. A couple of these, and you will sleep like a baby.

I have a bad cold and I'm fixing up a hot toddy after dinner - thanks Constance!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom