Fresh Lemongrass Cocktail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchenelf

Chef Extraordinaire
I have to say this is one of the most refreshing cocktails I have had in awhile. I do prefer it not quite as sweet though so I put in a little less syrup.

Lemongrass Cocktail

2 1/2 ounces coconut rum
1 1/2 ounces fresh lemongrass syrup (see below)
1 oz. freshly squeezed lime juice
Very thin slice of lime or thin piece of lemongrass

Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and add the rum, lemongrass syrup, and lime juice. Shake it like you mean it, until combined and chilled, usually takes about 30 seconds. (by the time the shaker gets frosted and too cold to hold anymore the drink is ready.) Strain into a cocktail glass or martini glass. Garnish with lime on the rim or a thin piece of lemongrass tied in a knot laying across the top.

Fresh Lemongrass Syrup:

2 long stalks fresh lemongrass, coarsely chopped
2 cups water
1 cup sugar

Place these ingredients into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer with a lid partially covering for about 15 minutes. Strain mixture and thorougly cool. May be kept in a mason jar for about a week.

Yield: 2 cups

I am tempted to try this but I have never heard of lemongrass....going to check it out...thanks for posting

K I did my searching and Im wondering....does the plant itself give off a very strong scent or just mild....I thought maybe next year I'd try growing one, but it says I'd have to container grow it and bring it in for the winter to keep it as a perrenial. Does anyone know?

tancowgirl2000 said:
K I did my searching and Im wondering....does the plant itself give off a very strong scent or just mild....I thought maybe next year I'd try growing one, but it says I'd have to container grow it and bring it in for the winter to keep it as a perrenial. Does anyone know?

It's mild and lemony, with a distinctive taste. You use it in many Thai and Vietnamese recipes.

Mine is growing like widfire in a pot outside. I do not plan to bring it in, as I will just kill it inside :ohmy: . I am going to clean and freeze any stalks that I don't use before frost. It freezes pretty well.

Here we get cold cold weather and it had said that it will only do well in the 18-27C area...in the winter we freeze so I thought thats what I would do rather than replanting every year...thanks for the tip

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom