Good Margarita

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meatatarian

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone! My wife is a huge fan of Margaritas, and I really can't stand them. I was curious if anyone had some suggestions/recipes for making an outstanding margarita. I know the margaritas she normally gets are a yellow color, but other than that, I don't know the first thing about them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hello everyone! My wife is a huge fan of Margaritas, and I really can't stand them. I was curious if anyone had some suggestions/recipes for making an outstanding margarita. I know the margaritas she normally gets are a yellow color, but other than that, I don't know the first thing about them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
<---Former bartender here.

Your basic American bar margarita is made up of tequila, sour mix and triple sec with a dash of sweetened lime juice (or just a few slices of lime squeezed). The sour mix makes it the yellow color you describe. There are dozens of variations and we could probably argue for hours which combination of liquors makes one margarita better than others. Anybody who is a true magarita fan considers it sacrilege to drink them frozen. Frozen margaritas are for "beginners". ;)

All pretense aside though.....on a scorching hot summer day a pitcher of frozen margaritas is a-okay with me!

For your basic margarita (experiment with the proportions until it tastes right to her), do this:

Get a "Tall" bar glass (about 5" tall so probably something between a juice glass and a standard beverage glass in your cabinet).

Fill glass with ice. Pour 2oz of tequila over the ice. (Don't buy the stuff that's $5/bottle, at a bare minimum go with Jose Cuervo Gold, then work your way up)

Fill the remainder of the glass with sour mix up until about 1/2" from the top. Give a "short pour" of triple sec (approx 1oz) and a splash of the lime juice (or squeezed limes).

You'll want to pour it out of the glass and shake it then. If you don't have a cocktail shaker then at least grab another larger glass and pour between the two until the ingredients are mixed really well (usually 4-5 turns between the two glasses).

Before pouring back into the Tall glass to serve, salt the rim with rock salt if desired. I wouldn't drink a margarita without salt, but that's me.

To salt the rim:

Pour some of the sweet lime juice (or sour mix if you don't have any of that) onto a small plate. Pour rock salt onto another plate. Set the glass upside down on the plate with the juice, then dip several times in the rock salt until the rim of the glass is well coated.

Pictures!

img_965873_0_9fad9f6fd511a4a1d4b52656fa88edd3.jpg

img_965873_1_0fb19bcbf88b93e475459aac3ffec6c8.jpg

You don't have to have 2oz exactly (I usually pour heavy), but if want to get close you'll need to use either a jigger or a shot glass.

img_965873_2_5f649d466fb6ed66c67c29b5abdd08d6.jpg

Fill with sour mix up to 1/2" below the edge of the glass.

img_965873_3_fcd145df9b7479e64c1acc8c71b26970.jpg

Add triple sec.

img_965873_4_f56531c6b3a8c1c55f9b99807e424e33.jpg

Shake!

img_965873_5_490f57f365d75d634c595cba43ab6a55.jpg

Salt the rim of the glass.

img_965873_6_634e1d9427ee019283af26b50f0b52e6.jpg

Garnish with limes. I have a hard time buying limes here, so instead I use Calamansi which are these teeny little round fruits that grow on a bush in my back yard, they look like baby oranges but they are tart like a lemon and used as such. Most people like to put a wedge of lime on the edge of the glass for garnish. If I'm serving it to someone else I'll probably do that but when making it for myself I just squeeze it on in there. I love my margaritas with lots of limes.

I like my margaritas with a Grand Marnier "floater" so that's why you see that bottle in the background. Experiment with this basic recipe for a bit and when you're comfortable with this I'll share some of the more complex (and tastier) versions I've made in the past.

Damn....now I'm hungry for fajitas!

Last edited:
I on the other hand enjoy the pale green hew of a margarita made from silver tequila. I always make a double, and keep the alcohol in the freezer and other items in the 'fridge.

3 fl-oz. Patron Silver Tequila (Pricey, but good!)
2 fl-oz. Patron Citronge (Clear Orange Liqueur, Cointreau works too)
2 fl-oz. Freshly Squeezed Lime Juice
3 fl-oz. Simple Syrup
Pinch of Salt
Ice cubes
Lime Twist if you're feeling fancy... :turned:

I like a pinch of salt in the drink itself rather than on the rim. I usually drink enough of these that the salt dries my lips out if I put it on the rim. I also think the flavors meld better. Instead of the flared glass I usually go with a Pint Glass. The above recipe with five ice cubes fills mine just right. I shake and empty cubes and all.

A couple of these doubles (a quadruple I guess) along with grilled meats and fiery food really spell summer fun to me.

Last edited:
I hate using sour mix in my margaritas. I find that makes the drink sickeningly sweet and undrinkable.

Here is how I make mine.

1 1/3 cups tequila (I used Milagro Anejo)
1/4 cup orange liqueur (I used Gran Marnier)
1/2 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
1 tsp finely grated lime zest
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup water
ice cubes for serving

This recipe needs to be made 6-8 hours in advance so plan ahead. Mix the first 6 ingredients together in a serving pitcher and stir well until the sugar is dissolved. Cover the pitcher and put in the fridge for at least 6 hours to let the flavors mingle.

To serve you can pour it over ice or put ice in a shaker and chill that way. Garnish with lime wedges and salt on the rim if you like.

I have actually meant to test to see if marinating for 6 hours really makes a difference. My gut tells me it doesn't matter.

I hate using sour mix in my margaritas. I find that makes the drink sickeningly sweet and undrinkable.
In the case of most sour mixes I absolutely agree, but it also depends on the preparation and proportion as much as it does the quality of the mix. I was just trying to get him started with a basic recipe to replicate what she is likely getting when she orders one in a bar or restaurant. :)

Plus it was a good excuse to make a margarita so I could take photos!
img_966049_0_b0db63bf1397e85c1bcef26edb187d64.gif

Here's my favorite - it has sage (which grows around here). The sage provides a spicy undertone that is PERFECT with tequila. Leave the salt...

2 fresh sage leaves bruised in a muddler or crushed by hand
2 ounces tequila (partially aged is my preference)
1/2 ounce Cointreau
1/2 ounce simple Syrup (maybe a bit more to taste)
3/4 ounce fresh lime juice
Fresh sage leaf for garnishing

Add crushed sage, booze, syrup and lime to a shaker with a generous heap of cracked ice. Shake it up and put it in a glass (just to be polite). Garnish if you must.

Last edited:
For me, start with a high quality blanco tequila, no cheap stuff (and you can stuff your Jose Quervo). Leave the reposados and anejos for sipping (not that that is a bad thing). Blancos have a brighter, smokier, in your face quality that's ideal for a margarita.

Two parts tequila.
Half part Gran Marnier or Cointreau.
Half part lime juice
half part agave nectar.

Combine in a shaker, shake well, strain into a salt rimmed martini glass.

Incomparable.

I own the Bartenders Bible and has always produced great results :mrgreen:

edit: if you have a Red Robin, or some other good restaurant chain (Apple Bees, TGI Friday) they usually have lots of different kinds .. try local & chain Mexican restaurants too.

Last edited:
Am loving the step by step pics cmarchibald. Looks like you have a good margarita set up. One of my best friends is crazy about margeritas, so the tips will come in handy. Thanks very much

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom