"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 07-02-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
Head Chef

Good, Relatively Cheap Tequila

Trader Joe's Distinqt Reposado Tequila, $19.99. Very good stuff for the price, especially if you just intend to use it in margaritas.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:43 AM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

I wish our Trader Joe's carried alcohol. You can always find decent stuff for the price there.

My current favorite tequila is Milagro. Now this is some tasty stuff! Don't you dare mix it with anything.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:17 PM   #3
Master Chef

I only have one rock-solid rule re: buying tequila. I never never EVER buy any brand that doesn't have 100% Agave somewhere on the label. Otherwise - regardless of price - you are not only purchasing an inferior product distilled from Lord knows what mixture, but you'll inevitably end up with one of those awful "tequila headaches", even if you just down one libation. With 100% Agave products, this doesn't happen (unless, of course, you plan on downing a full bottle all by yourself - lol!!)
Old 07-03-2009, 12:28 PM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
I only have one rock-solid rule re: buying tequila. I never never EVER buy any brand that doesn't have 100% Agave somewhere on the label. Otherwise - regardless of price - you are not only purchasing an inferior product distilled from Lord knows what mixture, but you'll inevitably end up with one of those awful "tequila headaches", even if you just down one libation. With 100% Agave products, this doesn't happen (unless, of course, you plan on downing a full bottle all by yourself - lol!!)
This stuff is 100% Agave. Cheap brands, such as the regular bottlings of Cuervo, aren't.

BTW, I tasted the TJ's tequila against Sauza Reposado Hornitos and found it acceptable. Here's one review: The Booze Blog: Trader Joe's Distinqt Reposado Tequila

Tags
tequila