Good wines now come with screw caps, pop tops and paper "bottles"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Absolutely. There are some really high end ones that have taken that leap.

Tetra pacs have become very popular here in the last year, and our liquor store is really pushing them. As for the corks, well. I've found some decent wines with screwtops. However, we save all the real corks and bring them back to be recycled. I haven't quite figured out how they'll do that, but I bring them back.:)

Yep, you will find more and more wines with screw caps - VERY nice wines in fact. Ever heard of a wine being "corked"? It won't happen with a screw cap.

We carry Sophia (Coppola) sparkling wine in cans (4 per box), totals a full bottle (750ml) and has a tab top - and a cute little pink collapsible straw!!!! If you like a sweeter sparkling versus Brut you will love this stuff!

I have not seen the paper "bottles" yet - can't wait to see those! I guess if you forget your corkscrew you just poke a hole in it? :LOL:

We also carry a German Riesling with a glass stopper - rubber gasket helps seal it.

Last edited:
It is a trend that has been long in he comming. The Aussies first started it if I am not mistaken. It has to do with the trees from sich cork is harvested. Apparently the population is in decline, and as it takes ten years for a tree to be "corkable" they needed another means. I still like the nasa plastic corks though. It will take ALOT of getting used to, to have a bottle presented, then unscrewed.

I had a fine banana/red Mad dog 20/20 once.

We don't buy anything with a cork anymore. I love the screwcaps. They have been in NZ for ages. Even I can open them. I guess that is why I drive a car, not a horse and buggy.

TATTRAT said:
I still like the nasa plastic corks though.

Be careful of those things! I finished a bottle of a lovely Aussie Chardonnay and without thinking stuck the plastic "cork" in the empty bottle and set the bottle on the floor to be carried to the trash later. I was minding my own business when suddenly I heard an explosion. Yep, the empty bottle exploded. Glass all over the kitchen. Yikes!

TATTRAT said:
It is a trend that has been long in he comming. The Aussies first started it if I am not mistaken. It has to do with the trees from sich cork is harvested. Apparently the population is in decline, and as it takes ten years for a tree to be "corkable" they needed another means. I still like the nasa plastic corks though. It will take ALOT of getting used to, to have a bottle presented, then unscrewed.

Nope, the Kiwi's started it first.:) Those Ockers get far too much credit when it aint due...lololol:LOL: ( Just a friendly rivalry between mates over the ditch!:rolleyes: )

Plus, we have all their sports trophies now.:-p

FraidKnot said:
Be careful of those things! I finished a bottle of a lovely Aussie Chardonnay and without thinking stuck the plastic "cork" in the empty bottle and set the bottle on the floor to be carried to the trash later. I was minding my own business when suddenly I heard an explosion. Yep, the empty bottle exploded. Glass all over the kitchen. Yikes!

Why did that make a difference.

I gather because plastic doesn't breathe like cork does. At any rate, the bottle exploded and I don't put those plastic "corks" back in empty bottles anymore. It's easier to err on the side of caution.

FraidKnot said:

HUH ??? :huh:

TATTRAT said:

Considering how many times I've witnessed servers struggle with the cork, I think that maybe the screw cap might actually help promote a better presentation.

As for those plastic corks, I have a helluva time getting a corkscrew into them. Give me a regular ol' cork or these newfangled screw caps!:)

I still prefer corks when going for a fancy dinner, or event because I'm so used to it. A bottle of champagn with a screw cap at a wedding just isn't the same :) When I'm just at home having a glass I don't mind the screw caps though or even with company or during any informal get together.

We have recently tried three box wines: Franzia and Corbet Canyon Chardonnays and Black Box Merlot. The boxes contain three liters of wine each (equal to 4 bottles). The whites were avbout $10 each and the Merlot was $20.

SO thought the chards were just OK - the kind of chard you get in a restaurant that offers two wines - one red and one white.

The BB Merlot was good. Jammy and fruit forward and easy to drink.

I'm not in a big hurry to switch over to boxes, as I have a lot of wine in bottles already.

However, I see the trend to cheaper vessels for wine gaining momentum and I'm not too snobbish to go with it.

I think I'll stick with champagne bottles with corks for now.

The first time a saw boxed wine I thought "Boones Farm" I was at a dinner and all they had as far as wine was in a box. I was quite surprised to find a very good wine " in disguise". I have even been known to buy one or two!!!! What is the best boxed wine that anyone has tried?

Cookingitup said:
The first time a saw boxed wine I thought "Boones Farm" I was at a dinner and all they had as far as wine was in a box. I was quite surprised to find a very good wine " in disguise". I have even been known to buy one or two!!!! What is the best boxed wine that anyone has tried?
The best I ever had was red and white côtes du rhône villages in 3 litre boxes. Price was around 15 eur (around 18$) so my initial expectations were not too high but I thought it would be just good enough (and in sufficient quantity) to keep my BBQ guests happy. In fact they were both great wines. The white was bold and slightly fruity in flavour. The red was round, pretty bold and herbal in flavour. Everything you'd expect from the best of cotes du rhone wines.

As far as the plastic corks and screw caps are concerned, I just have one problem. A good cork on a good wine is supposed to breathe and very gently interact with the outside air so the wine can gently age and ripen. How exactly is this supposed to happen with an airtight seal on it?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom