"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 10-16-2004, 02:20 PM   #1
Moved on

Gosling's Black Seal Rum

I just tried this for the first time. As you know, rum is made from molasses. Well this rum tastes more like molasses than any other rum that I have tried. It is sort of like essence of molasses. The flavor is as strong as that of Myers's Rum which makes it suitable for cooking.

It is used in the national mixed drink of Bermuda, Dark n Stormy, http://www.goslings.com/darkandstormy.htm.

You can find a distributor here http://www.goslings.com/distributorlocator.html

The only listed distributor in the Chicago area is defunct, so I got it by special order at my local liquor store. He has a case, so if anyone in the Chicago area wants some, I can give you the store's name and address.

Also, you can buy it online here http://www.johnwalker.com/a_spirit_rum.aspx.

Unfortunately, the price is around $24 and it is not likely to be on sale. In contrast, the common, popular Myers's Rum is often on sale for around $13.

Old 10-16-2004, 02:28 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

i have a bottle of that at home aruz. watch out for those dark and stormy's. had a few in bermuda, whoa, they've got a kick. i think you put the rum in it to kill the flavor of the ginger beer.

i'm working on getting a recipe that uses it, along with sweet sherry, bay leaves and garlic to marinate pork chops. (have to go see an old flame to get the recipe, but i'm chicken)

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 02:51 PM   #3
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
i have a bottle of that at home aruz. watch out for those dark and stormy's. had a few in bermuda, whoa, they've got a kick. i think you put the rum in it to kill the flavor of the ginger beer.

i'm working on getting a recipe that uses it, along with sweet sherry, bay leaves and garlic to marinate pork chops. (have to go see an old flame to get the recipe, but i'm chicken)
Do you agree on my assessment of the flavor?

BTW, I just found a bargain price online liquor store that sells it for $13.99.
http://www.missionliquor.com/Store/Q...p;BACK=A0042A1
Old 10-16-2004, 02:55 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

i think you hit the nail on the head. it does taste more like molasses. do you know if that's how it gets it's color? or is it from something else like charred barrels or something?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 02:57 PM   #5
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
i think you hit the nail on the head. it does taste more like molasses. do you know if that's how it gets it's color? or is it from something else like charred barrels or something?
I have no idea.
Old 10-17-2004, 01:51 AM   #6
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I don't drink rum, but the bottle is pretty! lol It does sound like it would be interesting to cook with though.

:) Barbara
Old 10-24-2004, 02:45 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Rum

Thanks for the picture and description. Sounds like a winner. I like molassas and did you say put it in ginger beer? We all like ginger beer here and if this is added to it must be good combination. Even found better price. I live in St Louis but Chicago is the place to be.
Old 10-24-2004, 02:46 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Rum

I have bacardi rum right now, what do you think of that? How do you like it? I put it in Coke.
Old 10-24-2004, 03:11 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Bacardi is too sweet for me, ITK. But then I'm not a big fan of sweet alcholic dirnks. I do like this Barbados rum, Mount Gay, that my dad turned me on to. It's not as sweet, and tastes great with a splash of water and a wedge of lime.

I usually only buy a bottle when the folks are visiting, so can't tell you if it's expensive or reasonable, price-wise.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:57 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Gosling's Black Seal Rum

mudbug: I am going to go to the store with this printout and t ry and locate this drinks. Does anyone feel that the more you pay for liqour the less if affects you? I mean make you sick? I found out cheap wine really bothers me. If I drink better wine not bad at all. I really try to limit my drinking but if I do I want something I won't have headache forever. Thanks