Great time of year for a hot toddy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Juliev

Washing Up
Do you have any good toddy ideas?

Hot White Chocolate:

1/4 lb white chocolate
1/4 cup brandy or rum
1/4 tsp Vanilla extract
1 pt milk

Place chocolate, brandy and vanilla in the top of a double boiler filled with boiling water, place over medium heat and cook until chocolate is melted. Remove from heat, but leave melted chocolate in the double boiler. Meanwhile, place milk in a small pot over medium heat and scald it. Immediately remove from heat and slowly pour over the melted chocolate, stirring constantly. Pour into mugs and serve immediately.

the only hot toddy that i've ever heard about is a wedge of lemon that has had 4 or 5 cloves stuck in it, then put in a scalded irish coffe mug, and pour 4 ozs. of good whiskey and 2 to 4 ozs. of boiling water over the lemon/cloves. supposed to be good for curing colds, but i doubt that.

my favorite warm alky drink is a broken leg (served at ski resorts). it's warm spiced apple cider and rum.

From www.cocktailtimes.com
I don't know anyone that drinks this anymore...except me.

HOT BUTTERED RUM

Ingredients:
- 4 oz Boiling Water
- 2 oz Dark Rum
- 1 tsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Butter
- 1/4 tsp Grated Nutmeg
- Glassware: Irish Coffee Glass

Dissolve the sugar into boiling water in an Irish Coffee glass. Add rum and butter and stir. Garnish with nutmeg on top.

Hot Toddy, where I'm from, is like this...

2 oz brandy (or cheap Scotch! NOT single malt!)
1 oz lemon juice
1 oz honey
3 oz BOILING water

Mix together, stirring in a coffee cup, enjoy and sleep easy...

don't know what qualifies for a toddy, this one is not hot, but it's great in front of the fire!

Cinnamon Stick
(have also heard this drink called a Golden Delicious)

1 cup sparkling Apple cider
1 shot Goldschlager
1 shot Apple Schnapps (Bad Apfel is a good brand)

Pour sparkling apple cider into a glass.
Pour in a shot of Goldschlager and a shot of Apple Schnapps.
Stir (with a cinnamon stick if you like!).

Happy Holidays!

I can think of a very Scottish reply to this recipe, "Scots! Wa! Hey, Wallace Bled!...

Okay, KitchenElf would be down my neck like a ton of bricks if I completed the poem, and readers can PM me if they need the amusement, but I wonder if a metabolism wants to undergo morethan one of your recipe in a single night?

"Depends?"

Debthecook - you really brought back memories with your hot buttered rum recipe. My dad and I used to make this, just after I turned 18, the legal drinking age in OZ, in winter when we both had colds. The tradition stuck and we always have this in winter, even if we have to pretend we have a cold! I think we cheated and used more butter than this though!

Lifter said:
I can think of a very Scottish reply to this recipe, "Scots! Wa! Hey, Wallace Bled!..."

Lifter, Lifter!! You are hereby GUEST of HONOR at Burns Nite!!!!

Tis one of my favorite poems from the bard, probably because it speaks to my rebellious side... It absolutely enraged the English rulers of the day and was written a matter of weeks before the great rebellion of 1745, with the famed Battle of Culloden following the next Spring.

I'm so very impressed! (Once more, that is...!)
;)

PS: My toddy recipe also equals yours, but uses Bucky's lemon slice....

buckytom

when I am sick I have something almost like that, but with honey in it. After drinking it I get under a bunch of covers and fall asleep. It does help a lot of times if I can bring my body temp up enough.

Audeo-

"Och, noo, and ta!

I've got some excellent "Toasts to the Head of the Puddin' Race", as well as the copy I typed up for my father a few years ago on "Burns, The Lover" for his (ie Dad's) address to the Lodge on Burns Night that year...

When I die, and they sling me into the ground, I want the band to march away playing "The Black Bear"....

Lifter

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom