Guinness Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBQ Mikey

Sous Chef
Its my favorite and deserves its own thread. I like a Guinness thrice weekly if all is going well.

I also saw a cool recipe for Guinness Onion Soup.

4 cloves garlic
2 large onions
1.5 Guinness Cans
4-5 cups Beef Broth.

Saute 4 cloves garlic (minced) in 2 Tbsp. olive oil, just enough to flavor oil.
Saute onions for 3-5 minutes until golden.
Introduce Guinness to the pot, reduce heat to medium.
add 4-5 cups beef broth and heat to high.
Transfer soup cups with toast and melted cheese (provolone or cheddar)
Broil to melt cheese, serve hot. :)

Hobo Stew..

Toss a bunch of coursed cubed veggies(potatoes, carrots, celery, cabbage, turnips, etc) in a big can. Add piles of cut up smoked sausages, italian sausages, etc. Cut corn on the cob in half, toss those in. add water, salt pepper, hot sauce and quite a few bottles of Guiness, cover and boil for a few hours. The last time I did this we used a 35 gallon trash can(new).

tastes great..

Drink Guinness. Read cook book. Burp with satisfaction!
;)
Actually, Guinness is my preferred beer for my chili.

guinness ice cream

guinness truffles

guinness marinated, coffee rubbed skirt steak

Hurt knee, headache, stress...GUINNESS apply internally!

I guess I'm a purist here - I like my Guinness for sipping only - particularly out on the deck or out on the porch swing or on the sofa watching tv or in bed reading a good book. . . . .

Me, I just drink it every Tuesday lunchtime for 2 hours between Chem lectures.

and at £2.10 a pint (esp for center of Town) that`s a Fantastic price! (it`s over 3 quid anywhere else).

needless to say I spend a tenner every tuesday :D

no lectures today though, so I kinda missed out :(

Guinness is mighty good!! One of my favorites!! I only occasionally am able to get to anything resembling an Irish Pub. But the Guinness in the grocery stores around here suffices nicely.

I actually didnt like guinness at first. Tried it a few times, couldnt acquire the taste. Then I went to the guinness brewery in Dublin and found it fascinating. If any of you have ever been there, you know that it is a long tour with a nice climb up a bunch of stories. At the end, you get your "Free" guinness (part of the admission ticket). I can tell you, after walking that much, I needed a beer. And since that time, I have loved Guinness.

Interesting story I learned while at the brewery/museum: Arthur Guinness had signed the famous 1000 year lease, but after awhile, Dublin got ticked off because the brewery was using too much water from the Liffey (river). The city told the brewery to shut down, or else. Guinness said no. The police came armed to the gills, while all the employees were guarding the factories with pitchforks and hoes...the police backed off and havent bother them since. Legend? Perhaps. But I taste that defiancy in every drop regardless!

Guinness, oohh, Guinness. I have loved the Stout for many moons. I can do without the Draught version though.

Guinness ice cream, now that sounds YUMMY!!!

Mish's recipe looks mighty tasty. Whats the bread recipe? I have a breadmaker here.

Here is the recipe.

Sierra Brewfest Beer Bread

3 cups flour
¼ cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 – 12 oz. beer, room temperature

Mix dry ingredients together. Add beer. Mix thoroughly. Pour into greased loaf pan. Bake at 350º for 50-60 minutes.

i marinated a skirt steak in it this week ..
put it on the grill .. it was really good ..

Guiness or stout always featured in mum's Christmas puddings. And I seem to remember having my hair washed in the leftovers on one occasion.... ;-)

I just heard on Public Radio yesterday that Guiness is changing their recipe. They will now substitue sorgham for malted barley due to a rapid rise in the cost of barley. They insist that it hasn't changed the taste of the beer a bit, but offers the best of two worlds. It provides income for African sorgham growers while decreasing the cost of producing their product. Me, I don't have a clue as I detest the flavor of all beers. But I thought the rest of you would like to know.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Breezy, you are thinking about sorghum molasses or sorghum syrup. This is made from grain sorghum (lots of folks call it maize or milo in cattle feeding country.) The high sugar content of the plant makes it great for processing for syrup. When they make syrup from this plant it is my understanding that they mill the entire cane-like plant.

OK, which one of you guys is this????? We have installed a hidden video camera deep in the darkest corners of Discuss Cooking - fess up - who is it????
dorstig6wi.gif

Back
Top Bottom