"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 06-07-2007, 09:38 AM   #1
Head Chef

Has Anyone ever tried...

(Or seen) Georgia Moon Corn Wiskey?

I have a "bottle" of it (It's bottled in "canning" jars) that we bought as a gag decoration. Now it's fairly available in our area and I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried drinking the stuff?

We bought it in 2003 (?) for about $10 (US). The label states that the whiskey was "Less than 30 days old" when bottled. I figure the stuff has to taste like crap, but it must be selling. Is it just being bought as a decoration, or has anyone actually tried it?

John

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:49 AM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

My FIL has a bottle of "Moonshine" that, other than the name, sounds exactly like what you have. I remember it saying less than 30 days old etc. on the label.

We cracked into it a few years ago. We each took one sip and then gagged. I am not a whiskey drinker though so I probably would have had the same reaction if it were great stuff.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:48 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Keep it in your trunk in case you run out of gas.

That stuff is so potent that is has no flavor.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:38 PM   #4
Head Chef

Oh gosh, several years ago we decided to buy a pseudo Mason jar full of a clear liquid called, well I cannot remember what it was called. But the name suggested moonshine. We purchased it in a licensed liquor store and it had the tax stamp, it was just a gimmick. But thought my fil would get a chuckle when we presented it to him. And he did..

After a month or so he opened it. It was nothing more than the raw distillate taken off a still.

Nothing wrong with that except it was a nasty tasting liquid that treated properly could have become a decent whiskey, a number of years down the road, if handled with TLC, perhaps.

Have tasted the distillate straight off the still from fine Scotch distillers that later became a wonderful whiskey, and the two were similar.

Ronjohn display it, use it as a talking point. Open it and give guests a taste, a wee one, and it will provoke conversation.

And you can discuss that it is the product that goes into your favorite hard beverage. It sure is.

There are very talented people who will take nasty liquids like that and turn them into fine Scotch or Bourbon.

So I guess my point is, and I hate to have one, is that you purchased a toy. A conversation piece. But now you know what the raw distillate that comes from the stills at your favorite distillery tastes like before they do their magic.

God bless those folks who perform that magic. They give us a joy that only a wee dram can deliver.

Take care and God bless.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:53 PM   #5
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
My gut is burning just reading this...

You never feel it going down, until it hits the bottom.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:46 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Georgia Moon is produced by Heaven Hill distillery in Bardstown Kentucky!
It is marketed as a "Novelty" item. Sold in quart canning jars at 80 proof!
If one keeps a very "open mind" about what it is, it can be fun to sip on with a sweet corn flavor coming through. You might also look for Mellow Corn (four years old) and J.W. Corn also distilled by Heaven Hill. Both better than the popular Georgia Moon!

Have fun and Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:00 AM   #7
Head Chef

Thanks for the info everyone! Like I said, I've had it for probably 3 or 4 years, and it was only bought as a novelty. Not sure if I'll ever open it up to drink though. I have better things to drink around the house than solvent.

Maybe if I still have it in 20 years, I'll see (although being sealed in glass, it probably won't have changed much...)

John

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 10:54 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
I believe you can also get it at your local Home Depot store on the paint section (paint thinners, etc.) I would not use it as substitute for gasoline in your car since it will void your engine warranty LOL
Old 07-14-2007, 09:03 PM   #9
Master Chef

My dad grew up on an Iowa farm in the 30's, and he did have occasion to sip on some mighty fine corn liquor. He said the best stuff really had no taste...it just burned going down.
An older friend of mine told me that during the 40's, he got a glass with his breakfast at a little joint in Tennessee. He said it was very smooth going down.
That stuff would be too strong for me.

Now, give me a glass of good Dego Red, and I'd be a happy camper! It just makes you feel all warm inside. Talk about a sleeping pill!
Unfortunately, all our old Italian winemakers are dying off, and the kids aren't interested in carrying on.
At least I got a chance to enjoy it back then.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:43 PM   #10
Head Chef

I used to manage convenience stores, and this old man used
to come in of a morning to have a cup of coffee and chat a bit
to his friends as they came in; a nice friendly old man.
We are talking North Carolina, where moonshining is still doing
just fine, thank you. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

So, when he found out I was leaving, he brought in 2 pint bottles
of some cheap gin as a going away present. Except one had Blackberry
and the other said Cherry written on the labels. He said they were "sippin'
likkers", and that he made them. I have had a few local shines, and most of
them were scary. Like leave black residue when strained thru a coffe filter...
3 times! Without fail, all of the shine I have had is bad.
Even Georgia Corn Whiskey.

Turns out this old guy had been distilling his own mash for decades!
He made small batches of flavored brandies, and apparently made
a nice retirement addition from them.

Those were the best, smoothest and most flavorful brandies I have
ever had. Good stuff indeed.