Heat/Cold

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
Does heat or cold (outside temperatures) affect Jack Daniels, vodka, etc. different kinds of alcohol, meaning difference in flavor? I have some of this stuff since Christmas and had to keep outside on breezeway. I poured some jack daniels in glass and flavor doesn't seem too good. Do I have to pour it out? Or is it safe to drink?

Shame to let this stuff go to waste just because don't have room in the kitchen.

Thanks

I keep vodka in the freezer; with the high alcohol content, it doesn't freeze, but it's ice-cold when you want it. You could probably do the same with JD. As GRK said, heat and light isn't very good for it.

Meh, I don't think that it would be harmful to drink. The taste might be screwy, but after 3 of them, who cares?!:) Heat i don't think is your enemy as it is aged in heat, and cold, with open air aging rooms. The different climates help develop the character of the spirit. SUN, on the other hand, can do weird things.

And if you dump it, I will report you for alcohol abuse.

Meh, I don't think that it would be harmful to drink. The taste might be screwy, but after 3 of them, who cares?!:)

And if you dump it, I will report you for alcohol abuse.

LOL! Me Too! Flambe for a grilled steak, if worst come to worse.

...don't forget the shrooms........................................

Crazy

Once again you all don't think I AM crazy for the questions I ask! Thanks for understanding. Just that this kitchen I have is so small and seems to be getting smaller. Making room for any kind of liquor is out of the question that is why I put it on the breezeway. Such a shame to throw out so guess like TATT said would be alcohol abuse or use for something other than drinking. I just tried some and it doesn't even taste like Jack Daniels. Very weak.

Thanks for your thoughts and understanding.

just because it tastes "weak" does not mean the proof has changed much.......was said bottle opened or factory sealed? If it was sealed, then you might just have some really smooth forced aged whik'key!

And if the kitchen is that small, I would recommend consuming faster;)

what about storing the acholhol in a different room or a closet or something

it doesnt have to jsut be in the kitchen. Ive kept some under the bed, in a dresser and what not.

if you dont want to drin kthe JD

what about making soem JD Sauce?

Under the bed? Never thought of putting it there. What a good place! Can't sleep? Just have a clean glass under there too. I know people use the space under the bed. I just tried to put it under there. Could I just put it on its side? I mainly bought this whiskey for Christmas when people wanted egg nog or something strong. Tatt, you make me laugh. Not enough room so drink it! Sounds like good reason to me. Appreciate everyone's insight and suggestions.

Yep you can put it on its side as long as it is closed tight enough.

My parents used to keep some alcohol in the cabinet under the sink in one of the bathrooms.

hey a young kid will hide it anywhere when they dont want the parents finding it.

This got me thinking. I need to raid my parents liquor cabinet.

do I have to start making my comments indicate: for people over 21? I surely don't want to give someone ideas to someone who is not able to buy liquor on their own. I am sure your parents will notice something missing if you do take it. Just hope they have room to put in safe place.

I was over 21 and bought it legally.

the rents used to ask to many questions which is why i hid it.

the family and I arent big drinkers.

OH, THANK YOU SO MUCH! I was truly worried that I was advising someone who wasn't of age. Glad you informed me. You really had me worried. Never know who is reading these comments and I want to be the last person to get someone else into trouble.

I do appreciate your understanding. Keep in touch. One more thing, big drinkers is good thing. Too expensive to throw out if goes bad. Thanks again.

Im glad they arent big drinkers. addiction is in the family history but hasnt been a problem in a few generation which is good.

I do love cooking with achohol though. I finished up some of my bacardi Lemone the other day. I used in some shrimp scampi i made. gave it a ncie sweet lemony taste. completemented the shrimp nicely.

Im glad they arent big drinkers. addiction is in the family history but hasnt been a problem in a few generation which is good.

I do love cooking with achohol though. I finished up some of my bacardi Lemone the other day. I used in some shrimp scampi i made. gave it a ncie sweet lemony taste. completemented the shrimp nicely.

Sounds good. Making use of what you have. Great!

do I have to start making my comments indicate: for people over 21? I surely don't want to give someone ideas to someone who is not able to buy liquor on their own. I am sure your parents will notice something missing if you do take it. Just hope they have room to put in safe place.
I have often wondered why this section isn't age restricted.

safe is relative

many good burbons are served warm to taste all of the complex flavors. storage should always be in a cool dark space until poured. i do not think you are any less safe drinking your bottle than you would be with a new one. you may make yourself sick just from the altered taste and remember these are all opinions. if you are really in doubt chuck it so you can stay healthy and keep posting with us.:)

ps i'm 34 year of age.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom