"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 01-22-2010, 03:06 PM   #1
Chief Eating Officer

Thumbs up Help Me Pick Some Tequilas

My wife and I are going our Saturday for drinks and guacamole as a relatively new Mexican place by us that is getting great reviews. They have an extensive tequila menu
(Tequila List) and offer flights so you can taste a few and see what you like. I am familiar with a few tequilas on the list, but just a small percentage. Is anyone here familiar with any of these. Take a look at the flights at the bottom of the page specifically, as I will be getting one (or more) of those. I heard they will swap out any of their tequilas in the flights for any of the ones they have so I am not limited, but I would love some opinions. Which of these tequilas are you familiar with and how do you like them?

Old 01-22-2010, 03:28 PM   #2
Master Chef

i like to find places that serve cabo wabo (the aged is better)

Old 01-22-2010, 03:30 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

This place does have Cabo Wabo. I am looking to try things that might a little more exotic or harder to find.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:35 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
This place does have Cabo Wabo. I am looking to try things that might a little more exotic or harder to find.
sorry i can't help you out but i haven't tried many.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:39 PM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

Thanks msmofet. You have good taste in the Cabo.

The brands I have had off the list so far are:

El Tesoro
Milagro
Cabo Wabo
Patron
and maybe Corazon although i can not say for sure.

Milagro is my favorite of these 4 or 5, but I enjoyed each and every one of them.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:05 PM   #6
Head Chef

I did not see it on the list but I like Cazadores Reposado.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:09 PM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

Thanks powerplantop. That one actually is on the list. Not just the reposado, but also the anejo, and blanco. I think I generally prefer reposados, but I need to drink more to really figure out my preference. How would you describe the Cazadores R?
Old 01-22-2010, 10:15 PM   #8
Head Chef

To me it is not to harsh but still has some punch to it. Some of the high end ones to me do not taste like tequila.

But I don't drink a lot of tequila any more. One or two shots then switch to something else. Even the shots a far in between.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:15 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Something new.

Are there that many variations on flavor?I have never personally tried a tequila that I liked.Usally by the time the shots arrived any thing was good.Have you ever tasted Yeagermeister when your straight?Terrible stuff!I really have nothing to add to this thread asside from wondering if the amount of agave in the tequila alters the taste.I saw something on PBS about the Jose Quervo opperation and it was pretty cool.It was interesting to see how this company was processing the raw ingrediants in a third world way to a finnished product that will ship all over the globe.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:14 AM   #10
Mr. Greenjeans

First, I only buy Anejo. I like the flavor of the cactus. It's sweet and savory all by itself. I treat a good tequila like a fine scotch. Sipping only please. If you have to shoot it you may as well make a marguarita with it.

1800 Anejo (Marzipan) - 5/8/22 Meh
Hornitos Anejo (Caramel) - 5/8/22 It’s ok, a bit rough but still a nice sweet after.
Cazadores (Roasted Cashew) - 7/10/28 Pale bottle, picture of a deer on the front. I like this one. No bitter Little smoke with a nice cactus flavor at the end.
Tres Generaciones (Brown Sugar) - 7/10/28 A little harsh but smoothes out after two sips.
Corazon (Floral/Rich Caramel) - 7/10/28 This is a nice one. Nice all around flavor.
Corralejo (Caramel/Pear) - 7/10/28 Sweet but not overboard.
Don Julio (Dark Chocolate) - 7/10/28 Another favorite. If you see someone slam this in a shooter, slap them.
Herradura (Cinnamon/Pear) - 7/10/28 The one I buy the most. Classic tequila taste without the rasp and harsh. It’s like Cuervo made by artists who care.
Patron (Mellow Agave) - 7/10/28 Ok but over rated.
Cabo Wabo (Honey/Lime) - 7/10/28 I like it but I do not seek it out.
La Certeza (Roasted Peppers) - 9/12/32 Rough but with a purpose.