Homebrewed Beer Facts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow! You are one lucky duck to find a 16 qt stockpot at the thrift store! How much was it anyways? Anyone else know of any websites on where to find cheap or used stockpots of that size?

Austin Homebrew Supply

I found my 16 gallon beer pot there. Thing is huge. Stainless Steel.

I think it ran me just over $100. good thing about AHB is that any orders over $100 have free shipping.

No more homebrew love around here?

You are missing one of the best parts of life!

I don't make beer, but I do make wine :)

img_1092290_0_83072d2c494ed3eaf0276a30433fedd6.jpg

img_1092290_1_4b968d89a38f03a0159ff62987094fa3.jpg

Nice barrels Steve.

Those look like a belgian ale would great in them!

My husband just kegged his first batch of a heffy wiess. We are doing kegs as he hates the idea of bottling. And by doing this he added about $200 to the start up cost. We just bought two more kits. One is a blonde... and one is a raspberry heffy for myself. I am looking at starting my own mead also. Anyone tried mead making before?

I no longer actively brew but have made many hundreds of 5 gallon batches. Look for a local brewing club in your area to help you get started. First hand experience can be invaluable to a budding brew master. As you progress you will quickly outgrow "kit" beers and find that you can make a much better product using the partial mash method.

I highly recommend picking up a copy of The Complete Joy of Homebrewing. Charlie has recipes and techniques for mead.

When I have made it in the past I used 15 pounds of honey to make 5 gallons of wort. This will make the wort with a very high specific gravity. Use champagne yeast. After fermentation, plan on bottling in high pressure champagne bottles as this mixture will burst standard beer bottles. I've had batches with 12% alcohol (based on change in specific gravity).

Mead by definition uses only honey, yeast and water.

We are looking at kegging the mead after fermentation. We have several carnie kegs that we have bought that we plan to use. We have made a old fridge into our "kegerator" (it fits six kegs hehehe) We have three taps currently planned but are leaving enough space to do a full six. When we have three I get one for either mead or my own beer. Once we upgrade to six then I get two taps for myself!

Back
Top Bottom