"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 11-14-2005, 07:24 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question Homemade Kahlua

I have a recipe for homemade kahlua that is made with instant coffee. After you have "cooked it", it says to let it cool before adding the liquor. What temperature should I let it cool to before adding the liquor, and what would happen if I add it too soon?

I made this about two years ago, and didn't really care for the instant coffee taste, so this year I decided to brew the coffee, using a better brand of coffee (I just happened to decide on Seattle's Best French Roast Dark Roast) and basically made it the same way. I like it much better than the instant coffee method. I let it cool to almost room temperature before I added the liquor and it is yummy.

I just was curious what is the best temperature to add liquor. Someone said if I add it when the mix is too hot that the liquor will evaporate. I wouldn't want to spoil a whole pot of Kahlua, and just wanted to be more informed.

Thank you.

Old 11-14-2005, 08:44 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I'd use room temp coffee.

Can we see your recipe? One can never have too many ways
to make kaluha!

Old 11-14-2005, 08:58 PM   #3
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife
I'd use room temp coffee.

Can we see your recipe? One can never have too many ways
to make kaluha!
Me too me too
Old 11-14-2005, 09:27 PM   #4
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
Welcome to DC, BMJjakmauh! I would say room temp or cold, also. I would guess the heat may assist the evaporation of the alcohol! Not happy mudslide!
Old 11-15-2005, 01:54 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

I kind of just winged-it from the instant coffee recipe, so here goes.

Take 2 gallons of fresh brewed coffee heated to a boil. (Actually I did not truly boil because I was afraid to scorch the coffee). Slowly add and stir in 10 pounds of sugar and cook about 10 minutes. Let cool. Stir in 16 oz (two 8-oz bottles) of Mexican Vanilla and two 1.75 liter bottles of EverClear. Let stand for 2-4 hours before bottling.

That's it. From this, however, I refilled the 1.75 bottles of Ever Clear and filled twelve 750 ml bottles, so this makes quite a bit of Kahlua. You could make a half recipe for a smaller batch.

Also, I had my friends save their liquor bottles for me to use for the bottling of the Kahlua. Rinse the liquor bottles out and make sure they are dried out on the inside before using for bottling.

This was a big hit 2 years ago as a gift to our friends at the holidays.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:01 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
lol..yeah.. that ought to be enough for a few days.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-23-2005, 02:37 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

I made an error when I posted the original recipe. It should be two 1.75 liter bottles of EverClear. Sorry for the mistake. Bonnie