Homemade Kahlua

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
Kahlua is dirt cheap in Mexico. Up here, it's really expensive. Here's my recipe:

9 or 10 Keurig coffee cups that you don't care for. I used Newman's along with a couple of French Roast. I have also made this with hotel coffee packs.

1 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup agave nectar

A split vanilla bean or two, or a teeny bit of vanilla extract

Boil about 2 quarts of water with the coffee grounds for 30 minutes or so. Strain through a sieve lined with coffee filters, after you think it looks dark enough, and add the sugars. Cook some more. When it thickens up, take off the heat, pour into a Mayan Goddess bottle, and add enough vodka, rum, or everclear to make up the difference. If you're using the vanilla bean, poke them in the bottle too. It will creep out your husband if you don't tell him what they are. The reaction is worth it.

Last edited:
How much of a coffee measure does a Keurig K-cup hold? We use regular grounds in our 12-cup drip pot. Himself carved a wooden coffee scoop that holds one Tbsp - I use a rounded scoop for each cup of coffee brewed.

I'd say about 2 tablespoons per K-cup. Just eyeball the amount of coffee, mine turned into a kind of slurry.

I would think you could leave out the added sugar if you used rum as the alcohol. Yes - No?

I think it needs some sugar, but you certainly can reduce the amount. I'd keep tasting and get it where you want it. I tasted enough coffee syrup last night that I had a heck of a time falling asleep :LOL: And that was before I added the vodka.

Probably best to make it before 6 PM.

Last edited:
Mayan Goddess bottle: ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1433094169.458863.jpg

Says 980 ml, whatever that is. I got it at the duty free shop at the airport in the Dominican Republic when we were coming home. It fell on my foot. Thankfully I was wearing Keen sandals, which have a toe cap. We have a special bond.

Last edited:
Oh, I know. I don't have Keurig cups, though, so I wanted to know about how much coffee to use and how big a container I would need. Thanks for the recipe :)

I would think you could leave out the added sugar if you used rum as the alcohol. Yes - No?

Since you would be making an alcoholic coffee syrup, I'd think that the sugar would be essential.

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Yes. Even dark rum isn't that sweet.

We had some of my homemade coffee moonshine in coffee today with a bit of half and half. I think the coffee jitters have finally stopped! I have to shut it down before 6 PM.

Last edited:
I used to make it years ago when my children were small...long time ago. I still have my recipe, which used Yuban coffee. The kahlua was really, really good. I should make some. Wonder if Yuban coffee is still available.

I remember Yuban, Katie. We could get it in Canada. I find this to be a great way to use up hotel and icky Keurig cup coffee.

Gives me another good reason to take home all the coffee packets from the hotel!

Last edited:
I used to make it years ago when my children were small...long time ago. I still have my recipe, which used Yuban coffee. The kahlua was really, really good. I should make some. Wonder if Yuban coffee is still available.

I'm pretty sure that you can still get Yuban coffee. I remember it being a frequent sponsor on The Price is Right.

my mom used to make it for the elderly lady across the street. Mom used instant coffee in hers. The lady across the street would call and ask "when are you going to make more ka-loo-la? :LOL:

Do not, I repeat, do NOT have this after 9 PM! Last night I had a white Russian, and DH had a couple of iced coffees laced with the homemade Kahlua, and we were up till 3 AM! I don't think I've done that since my college days, many eons ago. When we finally went to bed, there was a big thunderstorm that kept us up even longer.

Last edited:
My thought too! We usually only have a cup of coffee on Sunday mornings, so we're both probably a bit sensitive to caffeine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom