"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 09-01-2013, 11:21 PM   #11
Head Chef

I've made the usual, Raspberry infused vodka & Lemencello but they're both way too sweet for me anymore. I always have some vanilla beans brewing.

Nothing will ever replace my beloved dirty vodka martini, but I like experimenting. Since I'm such a huge fan of a Bloody Mary with our Sunday brunches my next project will be infusing some vodka for those. I'm still in the "research" stage since I'm not sure what flavor profile I want (bacon? peppers for heat? spices for flavor?) I just don't like the flavored vodkas they sell everywhere since I can't get past the chemical aftertaste they have ~ I have done a lot taste testing to reach that conclusion! ;)

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:42 PM   #12
Head Chef

I've made habanero, thai chili and jalapeno vodkas before. The habanero has been sitting in the cooler for four years. The peppers are still in it. They're white now and the vodka will tear your face off. My lips hurt for an hour after I tried it last. It's really good as an addition to a Bloody Mary, though. Just an eyedropper full will spice one up quite nicely.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:55 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
This made me giggle, Cat! Your DA is quite the character, in the best of ways!

I've thought of trying blueberry liqueur. We had a nice crop this year but we ate them all. Hopefully next year will be similar.
When I was moving house I found a 6 pint jar of blackberries in brandy which I laid down to make liqueur about 3 years ago & forgot about. Haven't got round to bottling it yet but it smells divine.

I make Cassis when the blackcurrant crop is good. Delicious on a hot summer's evening mixed with still white wine as Kir or, if you are feeling flush with cash, mixed with champagne as Kir Royale.

Oh, and sloe gin, of course.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I haven't but I'd like to learn more about it. I do have some vanilla extract infusing in the kitchen right now.
If you can get hold of a copy of Jane Grigson's "Good Things" she has a chapter devoted to fruit liqueurs with loads of recipes.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
If you can get hold of a copy of Jane Grigson's "Good Things" she has a chapter devoted to fruit liqueurs with loads of recipes.
Thanks, MC.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:37 AM   #16
Senior Cook

When I was working in Puerto Rico they made a coconut liquer in a strange way. They took a mature coconut, drilled a hole in it, poured out the milk and filled it with Moonshine. Put a stopper in it and set it on a self for about a year. It is amazing. In the south we make "peach Brandy". Take a bucket, peel the peaches and remove the pits, pour moonshine over it and put a lid on it. About a year later it is awesome.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:20 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

My mom used to make a coffee liquor with instant coffee and cheap vodka It was mostly for our very elderly neighbor, that loved her Ka-loo-lah as she called it. When we did her grocery shopping there would always be a bottle of Wild Irish Rose wine on the list.

I love the idea making liquors, but I don't drink enough to really bother. You'd think that I was running a bar with as much booze we have in this house. We had it when we had friends that enjoyed a drink when they visited, but they moved away.

Now I go to the liquor store for vodka to make vanilla extract. I may try rum next time, because I really like the flavor profile of dark rum and I bet it would make a great vanilla extract!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
You'd think that I was running a bar with as much booze we have in this house.
That's the way I am. I don't drink much at all these days, but I have more booze in my home tiki bar than most restaurant bars have.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:12 AM   #19
Senior Cook

I love making liqueurs. I have only done berry/fruit so far and am actually looking for a recipe for spiced brandy. Something to add to hot apple cider.

After sampling, I pretty much give all mine away.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #20
Head Chef

I experimented with growing a pear in a bottle, while living at the ranch. The pear grew just fine----- then I filled the bottle with vodka.

I can't remember how it tasted. But it worked.

Tags
homemade