How many types of beer or other drinks are in your fridge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess I'm a snob. I don't drink domestic beers. I think they're inferior. I love Negro Modelo, a dark Mexican beer and Hefeweizen, a German beer that takes a squeeze of lemon. Great stuff.

Our stockpile is quite meagre as husband doesn't drink - not because he has a "problem", he just became a bigtime health nut after he turned 40. Once in awhile he'll have a beer or cocktail with friends or for a celebration, but it's a rarity.

So, our fridge currently (& usually) just contains a few black & tan beers, a bottle of pinot grigio (my favorite summertime white wine, & I like to switch around different brands), a large jug of Gallo Chablis Blanc - used primarily for cooking (is terrific for steaming shellfish), Aquafina water, Diet Coke, & lemon-lime seltzer. That's it.

As far as hard liquor, once in awhile I'll buy a bottle of Bacardi Gold rum if I feel like having a "Diet Coke & Rum" (I'm sure you know that the Diet Coke cancels out all the calories in the rum. . . . ;)), vodka for Bloody Mary's, tequila for Margheritas, or Tanqueray if I feel like a gin & tonic - but except for guests, those are occasional purchases, not the norm, & presently I don't have any of the above in the house.

Oh, I do have some dry vermouth, dry sherry, marsala, & cognac in the cupboard, but have them for cooking, not imbibing.

Mylegsbig and lulu, Canada allows each province to set their own legal drinking age. In most provinces the age is 19 or above. Only in Alberta is it 18 (and Quebec?)and even here there is talk of raising it to 21 as there have been some issues with the younger crowd being a bit too rowdy. (Whyte Avenue in Edmonton during hockey playoffs)

Mylegsbig, the comment about AA was supposed to be humorous in light of the large amount of alcohol in one refrigerator.

As to whether this thread is valid or not, that is up to you to decide. I stated my opinion that I didn't see the point in it and would not have posted again here except I felt there were some things I needed to clear up. My apologies if I offended you.

Last edited:
Drama Queen said:
I guess I'm a snob. I don't drink domestic beers. I think they're inferior. I love Negro Modelo, a dark Mexican beer and Hefeweizen, a German beer that takes a squeeze of lemon. Great stuff.

I agree, domestics are just fizzy water to me.

For another refreshing twist on the Hefeweizen, try with oarange too. Whilst living in Holland, I fell in love with it.

Mylegsbig said:
alcoholics usually dont carry that much liquor on hand because they would drink it all in a one week binge (trust me, i know)

Very true! And even if not alcoholic, most young men would find a 'useful' purpose and down all that stuff in no time. As for me, I would polish off all that beer in one weekend, and feed all the liquor to strange women :rolleyes:

Mylegsbig said:
AA is a poor program that resembles a religious cult with a documented failure rate of over 90%.

alcoholics usually dont carry that much liquor on hand because they would drink it all in a one week binge (trust me, i know)

as for this guy, maybe he just collects beers and bottles and uses them sparingly. I know a couple guys that hardly even drink, just collect bottles of beers and spirits. However, most of the stuff on that guy's list is pretty bad, and i don't see why anyone would want to collect some of it.

i digress-

I don't understand what the problem is with asking people to compare liquor cabinet contents in a subforum called alcoholic drinks? lol.

Well, at least i didn't until i saw this guy's age.

is 18 legal age to drink in canada?

Well thank you mylegsbig.
I don't drink all that stuff. As I said I mostly drink a few shooters, a few mixed drinks, and the drinks from the list of coolers. The beer is all my dad's. The stuff in the cabinet is what we drink now and then. Alot of the bottles are unopened, or things we save for guests. We can all control our drinking.

The legal drinking age in most of Canada is 19, but in Quebec, and I think Alberta it is 18.

But my parents say if I can drink responsibly they'll let me do it. And I have been, for 4 years. When I'm drunk, I know when I'm finished, and I stop.

Drama Queen said:
Hefeweizen is not a German beer. It's brewed right here by Budweiser. I taste tested it at Sea World when it was first launched. I like it, but it's not a true German beer.

Sephora said:
Hefeweizen is not a German beer. It's brewed right here by Budweiser. I taste tested it at Sea World when it was first launched. I like it, but it's not a true German beer.

Actually, Hefeweisen is style of beer. It has it's roots in Bavarian wheat beers, but any brewer can make one and call it hefeweisen, just like pilsner, pale ale, or stout. (A rough description of the etomology of the name... Mit-hefe, or with sediment, Weisbier - wheat beer. Hefeweizen being wheat beer with sediment).

The style is defined as being a wheat beer that features flavor notes that can include clove, banana, even bubblegum.

John

Sephora said:

Well, I learned something here. I was told by a bartender that Hefeweizen was a German beer. I always buy Pyramid brand and I love it. I didn t realize that this beer is actually brewed in the U.S.

Drama Queen said:
Well, I learned something here. I was told by a bartender that Hefeweizen was a German beer. I always buy Pyramid brand and I love it. I didn t realize that this beer is actually brewed in the U.S.
As John pointed out if you aren't buying Hefeweizen label it might be. Budweiser has a beer specifically branded Hefeweizen and I thought that's what you were referring to. This is the product I was referring to:

Introduced 1984
  • Pronounced “Hay-fa-vi-tsen,” it’s German for yeastwheat, a name derived from the suspended yeast and the use of malted wheat as a brewing ingredient
  • Widmer Hefeweizen is left in its natural, unfiltered state to retain a pronounced citrus and floral aroma, complex flavor, and crisp, refreshing finish ... an unforgettable experience
  • Widmer created the American-style Hefeweizen category. Today, Widmer is the standard by which all Hefeweizens are measured
  • In addition to being America’s original, Widmer Hefeweizen is the most popular and top-selling brand of Hefeweizen in the country
  • The Great American Beer Festival selected Widmer Hefeweizen as America’s best in 1998. Widmer received the only gold medal out of 56 beers entered in the American-Style Wheat category
  • Founded in 1984 by brothers Kurt and Rob, the Widmer Brothers Brewing Co. has the top-selling craft beer brand in the Pacific Northwest and is one of the leading craft brewers in America
From http://www.anheuser-busch.com/overview/abi.html

hefeweizen.gif

Chilled at present;

German Altbier (self-brewed)
Merlot
Blueberry Wine (friend-made)

Others in the cellar.

Marion

Carlsberg Special Brew
Boddingtons Bitter
2 Bottles white wine
Shweppes Bitter Lemon
Shweppes Tonic water
Shweppes Lemonade
Tap water in a Shweppes bottle!

I totally agree with Alix. This thread is pointless

Last edited:
Ok I am not a beer drinker at all, never have been doubt will ever be, but I think this thread is like any other. For example, what cheese is in your fridge, or what wine... I also know that some beers like Guiness for example is an Irish beer, but in Kenya it says brewed in Kenya. It's Irish alright, but they use the same recipe for when they brew it in Kenya. Ok, The beer in my fridge is Tusker beer from Kenya and Guiness. As a child I remember the guiness advert, 'Guiness is good for you' Still don't believe it, not my taste, but I hear it's got loads of iron! Anyway in Kenya we say, 'My country is Kenya, my beer is Tusker'(can't stand beer, but................................. I am patriotic!

I can't begin to name all the beers in my fridges, nor the liquors in my cabinet/bar. I'll have to do an inventory and get back with everybody. I have one full fridge, a small fridge and a bar that, in a pinch, could seat 8, which also has a shelf behind it with bottles of various liquors and liqueurs.

Here's an old inventory. It's quite different now, as I just went on a beer run to Atlanta this past weekend and spent over $100 just on beer.

Lots of Arrogant Bastard
Lots of Stone Imperial Russian Stout
Lots of Stone 8th Anniversary
A few Stone IPAs
A couple of Stone Ruinations
Sleeman Cream Ale
Guinness
Old Speckled Hen
Anchor Christmas beers of several vintages
Kohstritzer
Spaten Optimator
cheap beers of various ilks
Rogue Shakespeare Stout
Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Last edited:
Well, I can tell you what's NOT in the fridge anymore. No more Cider!!! :( :(

Good thing there's more about ready to bottle downstairs!! :mrgreen:

John

I just added a case of Yuengling Lager and a case of Yuengling Black and Tan.

Well, I put it out in the garage. My fridges are all full.

Back
Top Bottom