"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 07-10-2010, 03:56 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Joshatdot Send a message via AIM to Joshatdot Send a message via MSN to Joshatdot Send a message via Yahoo to Joshatdot Send a message via Skype™ to Joshatdot
Infused Alcohol

Last summer a friend of mine gave me a drink of Cinnamon infused Spiced Rum .. and MAN WAS IT DELISH!

I don't know what brand of spiced rum it was, but I decided to make some myself. I got some cheep rum, some Virgin Island Rum was like $11 USD for a 750ml, some Old Crow Bourbon, and a 5 stick package of Cinnamon sticks. I put 2 1/2 sticks in each.

It's been almost 3 weeks, and I figure I'd try alil bit every month to see how they turn out. I didn't take any before pics, but I swear the rum & bourbon has darkened some.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:23 AM   #2
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshatdot View Post
Last summer a friend of mine gave me a drink of Cinnamon infused Spiced Rum .. and MAN WAS IT DELISH!

I don't know what brand of spiced rum it was, but I decided to make some myself. I got some cheep rum, some Virgin Island Rum was like $11 USD for a 750ml, some Old Crow Bourbon, and a 5 stick package of Cinnamon sticks. I put 2 1/2 sticks in each.

It's been almost 3 weeks, and I figure I'd try alil bit every month to see how they turn out. I didn't take any before pics, but I swear the rum & bourbon has darkened some.
Let us know how it turns out.
I'd like to try it but the cheapest rum you can buy here - and the sneaky beggars have reduced the size to 700ml - is around $30 a bottle.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:12 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Joshatdot Send a message via AIM to Joshatdot Send a message via MSN to Joshatdot Send a message via Yahoo to Joshatdot Send a message via Skype™ to Joshatdot
Had some of the Rum, not quite as infused as my friends, but it tasted darn good.

Dang $30 a bottle of the cheepest Rum?
Old 07-19-2010, 07:07 AM   #4
Cook

yes Josh... $32 actually.... We have this ghastly government that thinks that taxing the good things in life is a great way of revenue raising
Old 07-20-2010, 11:03 PM   #5
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I do this with vodka. Peppercorns(pink), orange zest, and some rosemary. Sit it in a closet for a couple of months, makes for some great fun martinis in the cooler months.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:56 PM   #6
Sous Chef

I tried it with Tequila, cinnamon and raisins, and it got gross. Hope yu have better luck.

I can buy delicious flvored rum; theyhave coconut, mango, and I think pineapple.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:06 PM   #7
Senior Cook

tequila + cinnamon + raisins???

I know you can buy flavored stuffs, but it's more fun to make your own. Sure you can go buy a Ribeye Steak at Chris-Ruths...but you can grill your own at home!
Old 07-22-2010, 11:54 AM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshatdot View Post

I don't know what brand of spiced rum it was, .
It was probably Captain Morgan.

I make cucumber-infused gin.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:28 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Last weekend, there was a HUGE turnout at my friends River Tubing Adventure. I figure this would be a good place to share my infused concoction. The Old Crow was pretty good, everyone liked it .. but unfortunately the Rum bottle broke in the Cooler, and no one got to try it (including me)

Next time I am going to buy Plastic bottled alcohol!
Old 08-19-2010, 07:27 AM   #10
Senior Cook

We make our own alcoholic infusions, but patience is needed because herbs, spices and certain fruits macerating in alcohol need time to mature. But be warned, some of these homemade liquours can be lethal, unless sipped only in small glasses.

Port Royal or Silver Seal 15 year old demerara rums are great for infusing with spices. But it’s when Uitvlugt is used that life takes on a haze of its own.